The Great Alan Jackson

As any Houstonian would understand, I got super excited a few weeks ago when the Houston Rodeo performer lineup was announced and I found that many of my favorite artists were coming either again or for the first time. I was especially excited to see that Alan Jackson was performing yet again, as he is one of my all time favorite country music artists.

I had the chance to see Alan Jackson at the rodeo about three years ago and it was one of the most memorable performances I have seen there. Before this show, I had never really listened to him or heard many of his songs, but I was excited to see him nonetheless. Little did I know that he would soon become one of my favorite country singers, next to George Strait of course. Some of my favorite country songs today are ones he sung that night. I immediately fell in love with them while watching him strum his guitar under the bright lights. Whether you are in the mood for an upbeat tune or a heartfelt ballad, Alan Jackson masters it all.

Here are few of my favorite Alan Jackson songs that I have grown to love ever since seeing him in concert.

“Livin’ On Love”

I love this song because of the simple and positive message behind it. The main idea behind what Alan Jackson is singing is that all you need in the world is love. It doesn’t matter what else is going on in your life, good or bad. He implies that there isn’t meaning to your life without love in it. All that matters is that you have someone to love whether it is a family member, friend, or significant other.

“Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)”

This song is a patriotic reflection of the events of 9/11. Every time I listen to this song I get overwhelming chills. He sings about all of the different places you might have been or things you might have been doing when you found out about the horrific tragedy. I love this song not only because I think it is an amazing tribute to 9/11, but also because he sings the song in a way that is touching and emotional, yet it doesn’t consume you with sadness.

“Where I Come From”

Alan Jackson touches on his down home roots in this upbeat catchy song. He reflects on where he is from and who he is as a person because of it. I particularly like how this song relates to anyone who has been far away from home and feels out of place. I’m sure we have all experienced the uncomfortable feeling of being somewhere foreign where no one knows you or who you are, but Alan Jackson embraces this situation in his song.

“Remember When”

“Remember When” is my all time favorite Alan Jackson song as well as one of my favorite country songs in general. I’m really not sure what struck me about it when I first heard it; I just knew that it touched me. I love the beautiful instrumentation throughout the entire song as well as the underlying themes of love, life, sorrow, and happiness. Every single lyric resonated some sort of feeling inside me. If you like sentimental ballads, you will enjoy this song as much as I do.

Filed under Live Music, New Country, Reflection

3 Responses to The Great Alan Jackson

1. I love Alan Jackson, and I love all of these songs that you have linked (with maybe the exception of “Remember When,” which is little syrupy). My two other favorites are “Gone Country,” which is funny but also shows a good understanding of what brings singers and audiences to country music, and “Drive,” which gets me in the gut but doesn’t overdo the sentimentality.

2. Julianne Staine

I’m also from Houston so I always look forward to the rodeo lineup coming out. It makes what is usually a boring January really exciting as I start counting down until March! I am not as huge of a fan of Alan Jackson because I have never seen him perform but I totally agree that seeing people perform can make you love them as an artist. I saw Tim Mcgraw perform at the Houston Rodeo when I was a kid and have since seen him multiple times and love him. Maybe I will have to go check out Alan Jackson this year though!

3. Erin McAtee

I think this is a great summary of Alan Jackson and his music. As a kid, the only country music I was exposed to was a Greatest Hits album of Alan Jackson’s music, which my mom happened to really like even though she hates country! I like that his songs are relatable and that his portrayal of country music is less about the twang and more about keeping it simple. He’s the type of performer I’m surprised I haven’t seen more of on national television and not just on the country scene. I think he’s definitely one of the staples of “new” country music and is someone we will see influencing the sounds of country music in the near future.