Chris Stapleton Is Killing The Country Music Scene

One of my favorite performances performed at the CMA Awards this year, which almost all would agree, was Chris Stapleton’s “Tennessee Whiskey”. Written by Dean Dillon and Linda Hargrove, this song was originally sung by one the most famous country music outlaws, David Allan Coe.

In the early 80s, George Jones also released a version of “Tennessee Whiskey”, reaching #2 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart. His version was made popular from what most considered him to have had a very distinct voice. Compared to Coe, Jones voice is much more soft, conveying a sense of compassion and more personable than Coe.

But my favorite version of “Tennessee Whiskey”, performed by male vocalist of the year and new artist of the year, Chris Stapleton. His blues-ey sound gives this song just what it needs to make its listeners turn this song on full blast while listening to it. The harmonization between Stapleton, Justin Timberlake and Chris Stapleton’s wife, Morgane Stapleton gives it that blues feeling, not to mention the saxophone and trumpets in the background. This performance is one that will go down in country music history. I should also mention that Justin Timberlake’s, “Drink You Away” was followed by, “Tennessee Whiskey”, which also brought the audience to their feet. It was truly a performance of a lifetime.

Although Stapleton is just starting to gain recognition as a solo artist, Chris Stapleton has actually written many famous songs most of us have heard, “Love’s Gonna Make It Alright” sung by George Strait and “Come Back Song”, sung by Darius Rucker. He has proven himself as a great song writer and now we have seen his capacity as a performer which has catapulted him into the country music world. His album “Traveller, was awarded album of the year at the CMA’s this year, something his listeners should have expected nothing less because of his talents and great singing career.

chris and justinSo many people are claiming that Chris Stapleton is doing one heck of a job in putting country music back in country music and I could not agree more. I am tired of hearing this “rapping country music” on the radio – sorry Sam Hunt. So, Chris Stapleton – we applaud you and thank you for bringing back and incorporating country music’s roots into your songs. I look forward to learning more of your songs and cannot wait for another album.

Filed under Awards, Blog Post 4

5 Responses to Chris Stapleton Is Killing The Country Music Scene

1. Kaki Miller

Kelby,
    The first time I ever heard “Tennessee Whiskey” was during the Country Music Awards this year, and I loved Chris Stapleton’s version with Justin Timberlake, (the combo of those two voices really is something else.) It was interesting to hear more history behind the song! Songs that are performed by multiple artists especially over multiple decades of country music really show evolvement and uniqueness of sound of the different performers and country music. I agree with you, also, that Chris Stapleton’s sound is definitely more “old school” country that classic country lovers are drawn too. I wonder if his recent awards and popularity will drive country music back in that classic direction. I really enjoyed this article, Kelby! Good job.

2. Lauren Harris

I love this post and agree 100% with it! His performance at the CMA Awards was amazing and went perfectly with Justin Timberlake. Many people, including myself, hasn’t known/heard much of Chris Stapleton since he was just a song writer. I am curious as to what made him decide to come out and be a singer. He is so talented you would think that someone would have gotten him in front of a mic. I love the last paragraph you wrote because I truly do think he is bringing it back to the roots and I love the bluesy twist he put on the song. He had so much success after that performance, even though he was already successful, so I am interested to see where he goes from here.

3. Candace Edgley

Chris Stapleton was all anybody at my family’s thanksgiving would talk about- they were soooo impressed with his performance at the CMAs. Unfortunately I had to work during the award show so I didn’t get to watch, but when we watched his performance in class I can’t say I wasn’t impressed. I don’t necessarily think he’s the end-all be-all of what country music should be… or if he is I don’t really think his CMA performance was evidence of that, he seemed lost at several points throughout the songs, but I did enjoy his sound and am enjoying hearing his stuff on the radio more now that people know a little bit more about him.

4. Tyler Dial

I love this post and couldn’t agree more! I was a Chris Stapleton fan since he first released “What Are You Listening to?” back in 2013. I was so excited to hear that he would soon release Traveller this year as well. It’s funny how some country listeners complained about country music but never knew about Chris Stapleton. That just shows how tough of a format this is to break into, even if you have an amazing album. Stapleton fully deserved the album of the year and deserves the recognition he is finally getting! The best part about it is that he is so humble and kind. Maybe he’ll one day be in the CMHOF?

5. Morgan Lohmeier

I love this post. I honestly had only vaguely hear of Stapleton in the past few years and never thought much of him, nor did I take the time to listen to his music. After hearing about him in class and watching his performance at the CMA Awards, I immediately got hooked on some of his songs. They are now played on repeat in my car. “Traveller” is my new go-to road trip song and I love it! “Nobody to Blame” and “Tennesee Whiskey” are great tracks as well. Stapleton reminds me of what real country music should be, contrary to what it has turned into these days.