A Different Perspective

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 9.25.59 PMBorn and raised on the other side of the world in hot and humid Singapore, I never listened to country music. I was surrounded by every genre of music except country. We associated country music listeners with rednecks, hicks, and cowboys.

I came to the U.S. under the impression that I would always despise the awkward sounding twang that always seemingly sang about trucks and religion. This different perspective of mine would change when I committed to swim for the University of Texas.

I am a part of the Men’s Swim and Dive Team, and even on my recruiting trip, guys would listened to all types of country music. I sat there pretending to like country but in reality, tried to block it out by either talking to others or play on my phone.

A year and a half later, I’ve slowly become accustomed to country music. Guys on the team such as Will Glass and Jack Conger listen to songs such as, “Outlaw Women” by Hank Williams Jr. and “Creepin” by Eric Church. I wouldn’t say the Swim Team uses country music to distinguish us from the rest, but most guys on the team are from Texas so they grew up listening to country.

However, we could relate ourselves to country music. In my opinion, country music symbolizes a laid back lifestyle with strong morals and beliefs. Most guys on the team are religious and very family orientated. I’m an only child, but I feel as though I have 35 brothers. We eat, swim, and even study together on a daily basis and that allows us to form a strong bond.

I can’t think of another group on campus that has to jump into a freezing pool and 6am in the morning, go to class, and then hop into the pool again at 3pm. Now, you might question what does this have anything to do with my community and country music. Well, country music reminds me of my family and home. When I listen to country, it transports me 10,000 miles away back to Singapore where I’m with family and friends. It reminds me that I also have a family here and that very thought gives me a sense of security that I can rely on any of my team mates for help.

Who would have ever thought that country music would have brought me closer to my team by appreciating what they have given me- comfort and love.

Filed under Austin, Blog Post 1, Outlaw, Texas, USA

2 Responses to A Different Perspective

1. Lee Allen

First off, I find it very interesting that you decided to choose the swim team as your community rather than Singapore, and you did very well with your transition. That’s so cool that you came here to swim, and that country music basically helped you in the recruiting process! Being from Dallas, I can’t even begin to fathom how tough it must be to live miles and miles away from family, so that’s very good news that this music genre has helped to create a bond with both your family at home and your family on campus. Your community is very unique, and could only be written about by an insider of the team such as yourself, so thank you for sharing this awesome story!

2. Joseph,

I think you have an awesome story and admire your willingness to accept a new genre of music that you once despised. It must be difficult being that far from your family and friends, but I think it is awesome you have been able to listen to country music to help cope with being 10,000 miles from home. Country music can be related to any group or culture, and I agree that it fits perfectly with your swim team. It seems as if you rely on them like you would your family, and y’all have a bond that cannot be broken. Country music often tells stories of families going through hardship together, which only strengthens the bond in the end. It seems as if this is the case with your swim team. I hope you keep on listening to country music and introduce it to your friends back home.