An Experience of a Transfer Student while Attending a Star Party

For the first time at 8pm on a Sunday, I, a new UT Austin transfer student, decided to attend a Star Party. I was ecstatic to view the planets because such an opportunity is hard to come by. My Astronomy Professor Dinnerstein also offered extra credit to attend the event. As I was quickly walking to Dean Keaton street to attend the Star Party, my squinted eyes started to dart around, as I wanted to be aware of my surroundings. The confident upper level students nearby seemed to be aware of where to go. Am I aware of where to go? My heart was pounding – I felt it skip a beat. Is it really impossible for me to walk to RLM for the first time on UT campus in the evening? I can either run back or I can run ahead. Cowards run away from fear; heroes overcome fear. I did not let myself crumble down to fear, as that would be pilloried as weakness. Instead, I decided that I will be confident! It is possible to accomplish this.  I happily walked quickly, as I envisioned the positive outcome of attending the star party, which is enjoyment of seeing the planets. After fifteen minutes of walking and being surrounded by lower and upper level students, I felt happier because I was not alone. As I was passing the streets, I saw the lofty, angular, and modern buildings. I also saw Austin’s hopeful and welcoming lights of restaurants and streetlights. My fears started to then evaporate.

Once I approached Robert Lee Moore Hall, I entered the building and took the elevator to the 17th floor, which was utterly silent. I did not see a single soul. It was sketchy to follow the signs up to the telescope and walk on top of small, slippery, stairs to get to the star party. When I entered, I saw the beautiful night scenery of Austin; the innumerable, bright, colorful lights made me feel content. I was happy to see many students surrounded by the telescope who also were amazed by the stargazing event. I was in line with other friendly, excited students to see the planets. I stood tall and my face was illuminated the entire time. This time my heart beat fast but for the enjoyment of attending the event. Being able to arrive to this star party, see many students, and view the amazing tower and city of Austin, triggered me to again attend weekly held star parties! I only have but two words to say to this experience of walking alone in the evening: I’m possible.