Love for Baby Bevo

University of Texas at Austin. Courtesy of Reid Sullivan.

After the Longhorn’s promising win against Notre Dame, UT fans couldn’t help but boast. Talk of a revived tradition of football excellency blanketed the state, and headlines in the Austin-American Statesman were some of the more exclamatory ones I have read recently. My Facebook newsfeed temporarily forgot the current political situation and remembered the Longhorns in all their glory. Die-hards breathed a sigh of relief, as they no longer had to defend their support of a sub-par program by reminding everyone of the National Champion title given to the University nearly a decade ago, although it was still a recurring theme. We were set to win, set to finally be nationally ranked in something other than academics or swimming, something Texans care about.

And then, we lost.

Cue the slander from A&M fans, the defamation from over-zealous football fanatics across the nation. Texas is not making a comeback; Texas sucks, Strong sucks, it’s really a shame, UT is such a big school with enough money to hire a winning coach… all criticisms from the peanut gallery. I, on the other hand, could not care less about how our football team is doing. The sport is too slow, too boring for me to watch, and I really don’t like beer enough to appreciate the culture surrounding it. I must admit though, I have turned on the TV a couple of times this season. But it was not to watch men run into each other, or fans aggressively screaming into the camera; it was to see the 19 month old steer with tiny horns and a bewildered expression make his way into a stadium of 100,000 fans for the first time, and take his seat in his designated air-conditioned nook on the field.

The way I see it? Baby Bevo is alive, and he is going to thrive. Who cares about a winning record that has been soiled, we have a baby longhorn to spoil.