The Worst thing in Austin: Everything’s Bigger Here

It’s Sunday afternoon. As normal, I entered “Smoothie King” to enjoy my drinks. I ordered a small size, but when I drank half of it, I felt I was so full. As usual, I did not drink it up.

My friend and I went to outlets at weekends. Arriving at noon, we were all hungry. We then entered “Austin’s Steak House” to enjoy the food. However, when the waiter brought the dishes to the table, we were surprised because each plate was so huge that we definitely could not eat them up.

After lunch, we went shopping. Outlets was so big that we nearly lost our way.

Personally, I wear clothes for M sometimes L size in China, but here, I only need size for S.

About the food, the inability to finish each dish leads to the waste of food and money, the waste of resources or energy. Somebody may ask, why not pack dishes and enjoy them in your dormitory? But packing also needs resources. Actually, the waste of resources or energy is present everywhere. For example, I always wonder why the indoor temperature here is so low. Is air conditioner free?

About the shopping experience, I cannot help but thinking, sometimes too many choices will lead to confusion and uncertainty. The shopping mall is so big that our desire for various goods booms. We don’t know what to buy but we want to buy everything. We were lost physically and psychologically in the mall. Besides, why does every shop lie horizontally with each other? It takes time to walk from one shop to another, under the intensive sunshine. Why cannot each shop lie vertically with each other? This can save more land resources probably and save customers’ time to walk from one shop to another.

About the clothing, since I know I only need S here, it is highly possible for me to put up weight, and actually it does happen. I was satisfied by the delusion that “Oh I only need S size here,” so I had more food everyday. The lack of self-control leads to the weight gain. The “bigger” creates delusions.

Yes, everything is bigger here, at least for me. Maybe it’s not a bad thing, and maybe I need time to adjust, but I don’t feel good about this. The “bigger” leads to the waste of resources, the confusion, the lack of self-control, and the delusion.

Appropriate is enough, enough is good.