RS2

National Public Radio.“When Weed Is The Cure: A Doctor’s Case for Medical Marijuana.” Alt-PressWatch. FreshAirPhiladelphia.com. Fresh Air Philadelphia

14 Jul. 2015. Web. 19 Jul. 2015.

When many think of medical marijuana, instinct leads to the controversy of patients usage.  However, through this interview on Fresh Air Philadelphia,  National Public Radio, insight is derived from the opposite side of the spectrum. Dr. Casarett, author of “When Weed Is The Cure: A Doctor’s Case for Medical Marijuana”, and director of the hospice and palliative care program at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, argues his view on medical marijuana. Doctors are the ones with authority to prescribe such medicine and in this case,  Dr. Casarett just might not prescribe it to you.

Initially, Dr. Casarett got into the subject of medical marijuana, out of hospice and palliative care, due to one of his earlier patients. She was an advanced cancer patient who thought marijuana might simply help. Regardless of his own opinion, from that time, Dr. Casarett answered based a system taught to him ”…. I started to give her the answer that I was taught in medical school that medical marijuana is not a real thing. Marijuana is an illegal drug.” Sometime after it, however, he himself decided research up on it for he didn’t technically know if his words, spoken, were true.

In Dr. Casaretts studies, he has found that medical marijuana does have its positive effects that can be observed in its present state. “There’s a fair amount of science behind it, and there probably will be more with every passing year as we get more experience doing research.” With marijuana being proven to help nerve cells from shooting out pain, it exemplifies its constructive usage. Nevertheless, Dr. Casarett goes on about his concerns for the future. “ What makes me a little bit nervous,… there’s been enough research done to make many of us worry that long-term cognitive effects… have found some combination of a decrease in neuropsychological function,… associated with thinking and memory.” Being stated, his view has been on edge for medical marijuana can help many of his patients for the time being,  however, questions, what are the odds of it hurting them in the long run?

Dr. Casaretts interview portrayed how most doctors are on the same boat as most Americans; in terms of knowing the cause and effects of smoking marijuana. All he can go by is his own personal values and beliefs. “It’s not something I promulgate. I wouldn’t actually tell a patient that I think you should use medical marijuana.” Although he notices the positive impact that marijuana has upon its users, Dr. Casarett still sticks to his own gut until he gains surety within the opposing view.

Fresh Air Philadelphia’s interview on Dr. Casarett was valuable towards my research for it shows a unique perspective of medical marijuana usage that can be debated. My classmates would find this source useful as well for it gives a point of view that seems to be obsolete. Most would just research what the patients have to say on marijuana consumption and forget the doctors themselves are the ones who prescribe it.