Communities

We all belong to many communities that support us and form the person we are today. Some big some mall, but they play a role in our everyday life. I have two major ones that make me who i am.

My first community that I cherish is being latino. Although I am half, I still take great pride in being who I am. Growing up and meeting my family on my mother’s side, I have been encouraged to become a better person. I never have really been discriminated against myself, but I have seen my latino and latina friends get told harsh things. In politics I often observe how latinos everywhere usually are frowned upon. Many people don’t want to help the immigrants because they are “going to take our jobs” and “bring crime into this country”. I do not believe this is true. In fact, a great majority of these immigrants actually contribute to society. They take any jobs that many people do not want such as construction, cleaning services, and much more. As a latino going to college, I feel blessed and hope to serve as a role model for many hispanics who have the dream of attending. I hope to serve as an encouragement to my mothers side of the family to let my cousins and nephews know that you can do anything if you truly believe yourself.

This leads me to my second community and that is being a first-generation student. My mother and father did not go to college. However, they are still doing fantastic in life as my mother runs her own business and my father is in the United States Air Force. Being a first-generation student, I hope to set a precedent for my siblings and for the rest of my family name. My parents came from poor backgrounds, so college was not much of an option. I have been discriminated rarely about this issue as well, but have heard remarks such as “your parents didn’t go to college?” or “are you sure you’ll be able to make it?”. Remarks like these make me even more proud to be where I am.

As a first-generation latino, I have surpassed many milestones and I hope to turn more heads. I found a specific organization called Project MALES, who mentor latino first-gen males and help them achieve their dreams. I hope to join the organization to help me and support me along the way.

http://ddce.utexas.edu/projectmales/about/

Filed under Blog Post 2

One Response to Communities

1. Sabrina

I’m Hispanic, so I can relate to all the stereotypes people throw at us. Even in Brownsville Hispanics and Mexicans call each other out about being illegal even when they are legal and I know it’s not funny but it kind of is, ha. I also grew up in a poor family which is why I’m so cheap about spending money. I also agree that coming to UT is a huge accomplishment for anybody and especially for those who are told that they’d never make it past high school.