My Communities

The communities I belong to are being Latina and a feminist. Being Latina means I am from a very family orientated background and am taught that family is the strongest bond we are born with. Although, it also means that the woman are supposed to be the ones who cook, clean, and take care of the house while the man is supposed to be the “bread winner”. This is where I decided to became a feminist, because being a feminist means wanting woman and man to be equal and end the stereotype about woman being the “house maid”, especially in my culture.

The stereotype I faced is actually in my own culture. I have two brothers, being the only female, and I was born the responsibility of cooking and cleaning for them.  I always complained to my mother on why I had to be the one to make them breakfast and clean after them, and she always responded with “because you’re the girl”. I would respond but “So? They got two good arms and legs, they could do it themselves”, but it would enter one ear and out the other. I also saw this predicament with my aunt. Even though my uncle and aunt both worked, she had to be the one to cook and clean for him after she came back from work. I would always question them about that. It would annoy my uncle, because he said I was too young to understand. I thought they were too old to understand.

beyonce-vma-feminist-fabiane-secchesBeing a feminist, I get the stereotype that I’m a “man hater”, but it has nothing to do with hating men. Feminist is wanting women to be seen equal as men. Being female means having less pay than men, asking “what was she wearing” when a woman gets raped, having male politicians have the say when it comes to abortion laws, and so on. There is so much meaning to the term feminist than is first implied, even famous artists are feminists like Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, and others. Being a feminist means believing  women are not superior or inferior to men but equal.

I am interested in the organization University Democrats. They promote democratic views and raise awareness for democrat campaigns which is the political party I am with. They don’t have much in their description, but it was the only democrat organization I could find. The second organization I am interested in is UT Sciences Toastmasters. This organization helps people improve their speaking and communication skills. I want to be involved in politics in the future, so I feel this organization can help me with my public speaking skills.

UT Sciences Toastmasters: https://utexas.collegiatelink.net/organization/utsciencestoastmastersclub

University Democrast: https://utexas.collegiatelink.net/organization/universitydemocrats

Filed under Blog Post 2

2 Responses to My Communities

1. Kathy Vo

I’m Asian and we are also family orientated, and also the female in our community are pretty much consider inferior to male too. It is because they believe that only the male are stronger and can do much more than us women. Those who consider that female are inferior to the male has forgotten that behind every good man is a stronger women.

2. Kimberly

I could really relate to the part where you mention stereotypes within our own culture. I also have two brothers, and am the only daughter, and I too was born the responsibility of cooking and cleaning for them. However it was not my mom that would respond with “because you’re the girl” it was my dad. He would tell me things like how do I plan to get married, I would respond with “I plan to be successful before I get married. I’ll have so much money I will be able to pay someone to cook and clean.” Of course he would proceed to tell me to be quiet and cook or clean anyway. So it pretty much did go in one ear and out the other.