My Communities

I belong to the Christian community, and I also am a part of the athletic community. I chose these as two that mean the most to me because at this point in my life I constantly find myself dedicating my time and energy to these types of lifestyles. It seems as if every time I turn around I am contributing to or engaged in one of these settings or both. I absolutely love faith, fellowship, and physical activity.

In the Christian community, as the name suggests, our lives belong to Christ. We strive to become more intimate in our relationship with God, and to continually mature our love for Christ by growing in our knowledge of who He is. We value the unfailing love of God and His gift of faith which allows our souls to be saved by grace. As Christians we acknowledge that we are not self made, but are created in the image of our Father God. Our ultimate goal is to become more like Christ and dwell with Him for eternity when He decides to come back to earth to call those home who’ve waited steadfastly for His return.

I believe the only time I feel stereotyped as a Christian is when people place Christians in a box labeled “perfection”. They ignore the fact that we are humans as well who happen to fight the same temptations that are common to everyone else. The only difference is our commitments and how we prioritize the condition of our souls.

As a part of the athletic community I love to improve my skills and compete. People in this community value progress and the joy that comes with performing. This community is also established upon close knit relationships that resemble those of a family; a very diverse, cutting-edge, talented family. A stereotype that members of this community hear a lot is that athletes are less intellectual and that things are handed to them because they are physically talented.

I am proud to be a part of both communities because each promote community service and take unique measures to contribute to society. I personally enjoy working with children and young ladies; my favorite act of service is mentorship.

I am interested in further learning about Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority. This organization does not directly promote Christianity or athleticism, but it incorporates some of the key values that lie within both communities. The values that I am referring to are love, support, diligence, and excellence. In addition, this organization is very similar to the non-profit organization that I began last year in my hometown for young girls. Both organizations aim to assist and encourage ladies while cultivating moral excellence. Ha, and I almost forgot this organization was established by and for black women, another community that I belong to!

Filed under Blog Post 2

One Response to My Communities

1. Kyline Stephens

I completely agree that Christians are often stereotyped as being “perfect.” It seems to me that as soon as someone states that they are Christian, they are placed on a pedestal and judged for making mistakes. Just because we strive to be like Christ doesn’t mean we make the best decisions at all times. We are still human and make mistakes just like anyone else.