“An Open Letter from SeaWorld’s Animal Advocates”

SeaWorld. An Open Letter from SeaWorld’s Animal Advocates [web log post]. SeaWorld. Retrieved from http://seaworldcares.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Engish_Letter.pdf?from=Top_Nav

SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment has repeatedly been accused of mistreating its animals that are held in captivity, specifically its killer whales. In this open letter, SeaWorld addresses these accusations and insists that the animals that are under SeaWorld’s care are receiving the necessary attention they need and deserve.

I personally do not believe that SeaWorld is a credible source in determining the mistreatment of killer whales in captivity. SeaWorld claims that its men and women are “animal advocates,” but at the end of the day, with ticket sales decreasing in response to the constant criticism, SeaWorld will do just about anything it takes to bring back the park’s seasonal customers, even if it requires the occasional bending of the truth to manipulate newcomers into visiting their park. Although the SeaWorld company seems to be a credible source when referring to marine animals, the key points that SeaWorld addresses in its letter do not prove to be credible or well-researched. SeaWorld argues that their company places its animals’ health and safety above all else. However, they lack proper evidence to support their claims that say they care for their animals more than the money their parks bring in.

Recent reports have criticized SeaWorld and its mistreatment of animals, especially its killer whales. This open letter was a way “to set the record straight,” claims SeaWorld. SeaWorld then goes on to list six different facts that have stirred up controversy against their company.

The first fact states that “SeaWorld does not capture killer whales in the wild.” SeaWorld claims that they have not collected a killer whale from the wild for the past 35 years.

Fact number two explains that SeaWorld values the bond between a mother and her calf and claims that the trainers will hand raise the calf in the event that the mother cannot care for it herself. “We do not separate killer whale moms and calves,” SeaWorld urges, except when needed to maintain a “healthy social structure.”

Fact number three: SeaWorld claims to invest millions of dollars in its whales. The company insists that their money go toward “state-of-the-art, multimillion-gallon environments of cooled and filtered water” to ensure their animals’ health and safety.

Fact number four: “SeaWorld’s killer whales’ life spans are equivalent with those in the wild.” SeaWorld suggests that recent studies show that the life spans of their killer whales are comparable to the life spans of the killer whales in the wild.

Fact number five claims that “The killer whales in [SeaWorld’s] care benefit those in the wild.” According to SeaWorld, this is because they collaborate with “universities, governmental agencies and NGOs to increase the body of knowledge about and the understanding of killer whales.”

As stated in fact number six, “SeaWorld is a world leader in animal rescue.” SeaWorld states that their team is always on call and prepared to provide animals with the best veterinary care possible. SeaWorld claims to have rescued more than 25,000 animals and ultimately treat and return them to the wild.

“The truth about SeaWorld is right here in our parks and people,” SeaWorld says to convince us that they are indeed telling the truth. SeaWorld concludes this open letter with stating that they want to provide a lasting impact on their customers and have them gain a greater sense of appreciation for the sea and its life.

Filed under RS 3

5 Responses to “An Open Letter from SeaWorld’s Animal Advocates”

1. Briza

I share your distrust of Sea World and its statements. I saw the Blackfish documentary a few months ago and it made me really see Sea World in a different way. Also there was a picture on Twitter that highlighted the enormous parking lot space a Sea World park had and the area that the whales stay in being incredibly small in comparison. I personally don’t trust the comments in the open letter and the fact that its Sea World itself arguing on their behalf makes it suspicious.

2. Shaniece!

I am not knowledgeable of the SeaWorld controversy, however, I understand the claim that an argument without credible evidence is questionable. I agree that if SeaWorld intends to abolish the accusations made against its park, then they should provide specifics of how they are not mistreating their animals or at least examples to show that what their saying is true. The six points presented are too general and superficial. After SeaWorld responds to its critics there should be no question of the company’s credibility or worth.

3. Evelyn

I also saw the Blackfish documentary and have not trusted sea world ever since. They are a terrible corporation and whatever they say to try to convince people otherwise won’t work. They are keeping whales as the main attraction for their park and we’ve seen insedents where the whales actually kill their trainers. Sea World is not a safe place for the animals and people.

4. Marisol Martinez

I feel like Sea World is doing whatever they can to gain the peoples trust again, I recently saw a Sea World commercial that basically summarizes the facts said by Sea World, that there whales are healthy and in a safe environment. I think every park should be inspected and conducted a research on how these animals are being treated. I cannot say Sea World is mistreating the animals because I have no proof.

5. Rosalio

I find it very odd that Sea World itself wrote this open letter for the customers of their parks, to explain why they should trust Sea World officials in their treatment of killer whales, because why would such a huge cooperation issue such tactic to persuade that they have done no harm? I find it very questionable. Also, with each fact listen, Sea World does not provide any actual evidence to back up their claims. Can we truly trust them? Or are they just trying to regain park revenue with lies?