RS4: Do School Uniforms Prevent Bullying?

Etolen, Nicole. “Do Public School Uniforms Prevent Bullying?” OurFamilyWorld.com. Our Family World, 05 May 2014. Web. 03 Aug. 2015.

Nicole Etolen, the Editor-In-Chief of OurFamilyWorld,shares her thoughts on the controversy of school uniforms preventing the situation of bullying. This source reflects my primary source as it continues to address the topic of school uniforms and their intended purpose. Etolen gives her personal experience in school and uses her son’s experience in school regarding uniforms.

Etolen notices that the supporters of public schools enforcing a strict dress code, are under the impression that by using school uniforms, children will prevent bullying. Instead of using statistics from another source, Etolen uses herself as a source in order to make this article credible. She had first hand experience with the school uniform vs. bullying situation and she also has her son as a credible source to make this article believable. She point out when she finished her last four years in high school wearing uniforms, she wore tights on a cold day to keep warn. When asked by peers where she purchased the tights, Etolen responded with “K-Mart.” Etolen goes on explaining that kids at her school teased her for purchasing “cheap clothing.” Etolen reminds her audience that although she was in uniform, that did not stop bullies from picking on her. Even if it was something as small as wearing discounted clothes, Etolen’s point remained that bullies will find any reason to put down someone regardless of a school uniform.

Etolen states, “A bully who wants to poke fun will find a way to do it. Unless every child is exactly the same right down to hair and eye color, there will be something to single out.” Although many may agree that wearing a uniform made them feel part of the group without having to focus on what outfit to wear the next day at school, Etolen agrees that school uniforms to prevent bullying sends a poor message to kids. “It sends a message to kids that being different is a bad thing.” Of course, Etolen shares her reason to go along with the idea public school uniform enforcement by saying that it saves money on clothes, but she is not eager that the uniforms are expensive on their own when you have to buy a certain shirt and pant; especially when certain schools require a certain brand of uniform, the cost is very pricey.

The author ends the article by reasoning with advocates of school dress codes by saying that some people like to wear uniforms for different reasons and others do not like to wear uniforms for other reasons. She then gives an open mind that perhaps “in your area, school uniforms really do help prevent bullying.”

Filed under RS 4

2 Responses to RS4: Do School Uniforms Prevent Bullying?

1. Henry Barragan

I like this topic you decided to do. I can relate coming from a uniform oriented district. In my opinion uniforms don’t do anything. The most of what they do is make the school look a bit sophisticated, but that’s not saying much. I can tell you from first hand experience that uniforms wont stop bullying. One of my friends was bullied for a long time, and the uniform didn’t change the situation. It wasn’t until high school that she stop being bullied, but the years prior were hell for her. Yet the uniform did nothing to prevent the bullying.

2. Kyline Stephens

Having read your draft, I do find myself more interested in this article. My personal opinion is that uniforms cannot prevent bullying. Bullying will always be around, despite everyone being dressed in the same polo and khakis. A bully will always find something wrong with a person. If it’s not their way of dressing, it could be their hair, their face, or even the way one talks.