RS 4

Mercola, Dr. “Marijuana Research Supports Its Safety and Benefits.” Mercola.com. N.p., 16 May 2015. Web. 03 Aug. 2015.

The controversy I am discussing for my second essay is the benefits of marijuana. The text I chose, relates to my first source because it gives us a more in dept detail of the long term debate that  our people has been having in the U.S. when it comes to the use marijuana. The comments below the article will let me know what the audience is thinking and how they feel the situation should be addressed.

I believe that this source is credible because it shows a couple of doctors in the text and video who has something to say about their research on the topic of marijuana and the miracle they witnessed along with the research. In the article, the speaker included a lot of statistics and point of views of different doctors who has been using marijuana on their patients. We could say that this article is well respected in certain community as they spent time talking about the topic of marijuana. The article also appears to be respectable/ believable because it has facts and studies to support the idea they are trying to get through in the article. To make this source even more credible Dr. Mercola included other sources like Cancer.gov, PubMed, National Institute on Drug Abuse, and The Journal of Pain to show what she researched on. The text argument has a responsible manner because it include logical appeals evidence in the article instead of outrageous amount of emotional appeals.

According to the article that Dr. Mercola has written,  he states the statistic of the different percentage of American who favored the cannabis medical use and the legalization of marijuana in general. He then mention that this is a major problem in the “federal level,” to show that it is beyond our grasp. Dr. Mercola  also included other authority to back up his idea about the benefit of marijuana as he mention US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy view on how marijuana may be useful for certain medical conditions. In addition to that, he also compared the U.S to Israel in order to show how behind the U.S are in the study of marijuana benefit due to the  “frustrating array of hoops, which are expensive and time consuming” for the majority to support the research. He also mention the compounds that are found in marijuana and how the pot grower manipulate it to fit what they want. This is why we see effects like anxiety and psychosis. Dr. Mercola also made notes on how our body create similar compound founded in the cannabis plant to show how the compound is used to balance our system. Also he included a list of what marijuana can treats to state the good the plant can do. Lastlyhe included another doctor that shared a same interest in the matter of how good marijuana can do for the individual and how a prescription drug is more harmful.

Filed under RS 4

3 Responses to RS 4

1. Val

On most of my RS’s and essays I have been talking about how marijuana is not a good thing. So to read about the good things that it has done and will do is a different way of seeing it. I enjoy reading different view points on the same topic, because it allows me to think of other factors that I had not realized before.

2. Henry Barragan

I agree with Val. I wasn’t always against marijuana but i was never a big supporter of it. I just didn’t really know the affects it actually had. Then when reading this article, i gain a bit more of an understanding of why we should have marijuana legalized.

3. Kyline Stephens

I enjoy reading both sides to the ongoing argument of whether or not marijuana should be legalized. It seems as though I’m constantly being pulled back and forth between both sides. I agree that it should be legalized due its effect it will have on our economy, but then I disagree having seen all the negative effects that have occurred in Colorado. Both arguments seem to have equally good points.