The Media Scene

I, like many others, find myself in a variety of different communities. Some of the communities that I’m involved in are obvious, like me being part of the Hispanic community. Although, I feel more connected to the music scene that also entwines with the social media community that I feel means the most to me. I know what you’re thinking. Typical teenager.

Music means the world to me! I love rock, alternative, country, oldies, you name it and there’s a high chance I might like it. I chose the music scene as a community that means the most to me because I feel at home whenever I listen to music just like anyone else. Whenever I was in Brownsville I tried to go to as many local gigs as I could and I even helped promote local bands via social media.

Festival goers enjoy the performance of the Spanish musicians of La Pegatina, on the second day of the Pinkpop festival, in Landgraaf, on June 15, 2013.  AFP PHOTO / ANP / PAUL BERGEN *** netherlands out ***        (Photo credit should read PAUL BERGEN/AFP/Getty Images)I know, I know. “Social media? Are you kidding me?” You’d be surprised how much social medias such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. helps bands get fans. I use Facebook to stay connected with different communities and that’s why I consider social media a community that means the most to me in general. Connected to the music scene, on Facebook I get to stay connected with street teams that I’m involved in to help get the word about small local bands from the valley or evolving bands such as “New Years Day.” But, I also use social media to stay connected with family I care so much about.

colleagues-on-facebook1Roughly around 10 years ago six of my cousins were taken to a foster home and eventually were adopted away to two other families in North Texas. My family lost connection with the children I stayed the most concerned about them for a very long time. It wasn’t until 2012 that I found at least 2 of the oldest cousins on Facebook (after a little stalking, ha!). I was thankful to hear they were doing well off with their new family and this is the reason that I am grateful for social media to keep in touch with people that mean so much to me.

The typical stereotypes I get when I tell people the groups I connect with the most (music scene and social media) are “typical teenager” and “You’re never going to get anywhere in life, my dear.” Even when I tell people that my personal favorite music genre is rock and metalcore, I always get “Oh she must be atheist” and “she’s going through a scene phase.” First off, I’d like to point out that I am catholic and no I’m not “scene” or any other outrageous labels that I have no affiliation with. Second, I feel that I connect with these communities most because in the future, I want to open up my own promotions agency and help manage local and evolving bands of any genre.

40062631_bb26c28610I have searched through Hornslink for a while even and just recently came across an organization that I feel that I’d love so much. It is the KVRX Student Radio org at UT where students run the UT radio station and even host and sponsor concerts which is exactly what I want to be involved with this fall. I have a meeting the first week of August and I’m super excited! Here is a link if you are interested:
https://utexas.collegiatelink.net/organization/KVRX