Where My Strongest Commitments Lie?

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. Where do my strongest commitments lie? What communities am I actually a part of? Does the list I made even make any sense? Instead of really focusing on these questions I’ve been watching Netflix. Not good. I only have two answers. Not because that’s what we were limited to but because that’s all I could really come up with. The weakest of the two, which isn’t really that far from the strongest is the Summer Bridge community. The strongest, my family back in Brownsville. I mean that is why I’m here after all.

At this moment and the next couple of days, I am truly devoted to Summer Bridge. This opportunity is one that I couldn’t afford to pass up. I might not be trying as hard as others but I’m taking this a bit seriously. Just a little bit. Once I see a signal that I have to try harder I will. I will flip the switch and show Summer Bridge who’s boss. #moneyteam #letsgetit

Anyways, this is where I’m at in my life right now. No where else, we unfortunately can’t be in two or more places at once (yet, I’m working on it). One thing we all share is that we are hard working. We wouldn’t be here if we weren’t. Maybe some of us did get lucky (like me) but that doesn’t mean we don’t know how much it takes to reach our goals.

Haven’t been stereotyped yet. I don’t think. Maybe I have I’m just oblivious to it.

Now pretty much starting from the beginning of my life until pretty much the end of it, I have a commitment to my family. In the recent months I hated the fact that I’m the child that has to go out, get a degree, make money, then give it to my parents. Especially after the fact that I don’t feel as close to my family as I should except for my brother.

I’ve always known that I owe it to my parents for being here but I don’t like the idea of it being my responsibility to take care of them. I’m not going to expect my kids to take care of me when I get older because who knows what they want to do. I’m going to do it for my parents though. I’ve had a great life despite the few bumps along the road like that armadillo that one time. They’ve worked too hard to be barely making it. They’re my family, I’ve learned a lot of what not do from them. They’ve provided for me when all odds were against them and I can at least provide them with some relief later in life.

Still oblivious to being stereotyped. That’s not good is it?

Now if there’s something crucial that I learned from my mother is that education is important. She didn’t finish high school which is why she probably made it so important that I learn everything I can. Being in Brownsville Lopez Early College High School, I’ve learned that it isn’t really the best high school to go to. So after some thinking I’ve decided in at some point going back to teach. Math and Science are my subjects which is why I will probably join the Math and Science Teachers of Tomorrow. Makes sense.