Beginning Topic Research

When this assignment was first announced, my mind started turning with all the possible avenues that I could explore. I first began my research by simply googling different areas of interest and seeing what sources came back. I wanted a topic that would allow me to explore not just one particular sect of food, but I also knew I needed to have a clear idea of what I was researching and exploring.

Within the last few days I have decided upon my topic and am just starting to gather resources. The inspiration from my topic has come from my love of The Food Network. I used to watch cooking shows when I was little, and although many of the same stars are featured on the network, the premise of the network has changed from educational to more of a reality game show network. This paradigm shift made me question how television cooking as a whole has changed through the years, including before television was even a household item. I also want to bring this question to the present day and see how the internet has changed the dynamic as well.

In the light research that I have done, I can already tell there has been a drastic change. From the type of shows the food television produces, to the status of the chefs of these shows; Chefs are now full-fledged celebrities with copious amounts of projects under their belts. So for the article, How food television is changing America, has been a great starting point in my research.

Some questions I have are: What questions do people have about this topic? What are some good resources to find scholarly information?