Online Wrap-Up

One text that I really liked that we read in class was the “Consider the Lobster” piece by David Foster Wallace. I like the way that he incorporated humor and entertainment as he sought to illuminate his perspective of an event. This article as well as Pete Wells’s reviews, like “Slurping Solo”, taught me that food writing can be very creative. The author can take a lot of liberties that are surprising, unsettling and refreshing all at once. Before this class I didn’t know much about the rhetoric of food, but I definitely didn’t consider humor being a possible element at all, but fortunately I have been proved wrong. We have read many humorous food writing texts in the class and I read many on my own.

The rhetoric of food is all about sharing experiences. It is about connecting with each other, connecting with other cultures and sharing experiences with one another. Writers express their experiences in a myriad of ways (recipes, annotated bibliographies, reviews, essays, poems, articles, blog posts, videos, podcasts). Another important element to consider in the expansive definition of sharing experiences is that each text has a specific audience it is targeted to. I learned the importance of knowing who your audience is through this class, and making sure that what you are producing is appropriate for your audience.

One thought on “Online Wrap-Up