Research Update

When thinking about what I wanted my topic to be, my mind immediately was drawn toward the idea of writing about sushi (one of my favorite foods). Once I knew that I wanted to write about sushi, I started to research and look for some resources that would point me in the right direction. With just “sushi” being too broad of a topic, I need to figure out exactly what it is that I’m going to focus on when writing about sushi. Do I want to write about the history of sushi? What about how sushi is made and the consumption of sushi? Maybe I want to look at how traditional Japanese sushi compares to the sushi we eat here in America. I began to rely on research in order to figure out which area of interest I would choose. I have done some research in different areas such as the history of sushi and the patterns of sushi consumption in Japan (the links to these two sources can be found below). Throughout the research I have done thus far, these two sources are the ones that I have found myself coming back to. Each of these articles contains sufficient and ample information on their designated topics. They also provide headings for different sections so it is easy for me to read.

For my research, I have been strictly using Google Scholar because it is what I have utilized most in the past and this means of research has proved successful for me. However, for this topic in particular, I have been having some trouble finding thorough resources that would be beneficial for my annotated bibliography. Having said this, I believe that I should look into other research engines such as the UT library database in order to find new information.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2011.00180.x/full

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1745-4506.2006.00021.x/full

2 thoughts on “Research Update

1. Nice work so far! I think this could be a really cool topic, especially because it is applicable to your life. I would recommend looking at the UT Database for sure. I started using it just this past week and have found it very helpful.

2. I think researching how sushi differs between Japan and the U.S. would be a very interesting topic. For one part, because most of your readers probably have never visited Japan and have no idea what “real” sushi is. You would be able to tell a cool story about the history of sushi in Japan, it’s migration to the Americas, and how it has evolved here since.