My Communities

download (2)The two communities that I associate with are being a Hispanic and a volunteer. A big part of the Hispanic culture is family and inspiring those who come behind us to do better as a race. When it comes to family the one thing that is always implied is how it is expected of my generation and I to advance further than those before us. Everyone has always told my cousins and I that we were going to college and we were going to make something out of ourselves, so that we didn’t have to go through the same hardships they did. To me volunteering is a big part of who I am. I enjoy volunteering on my down time and helping those around me on whatever they may need. Staying involved with my community has allowed me to gain an appreciation and ambition. Seeing what it is like to be without has made me very thankful for what I have.

download (3)I have never been stereotyped for being a volunteer, however, I have been for being Hispanic. About two years ago, my friends and I were on the wealthier side of town. We had been out trying to find the perfect birthday gift for one of our friends. While in one of the stores we had realized that one of the sales ladies had been following us around pretending to organize an already spotless store. We knew she was following us because any part of the store we went she was there. There were plenty of other people in the store for her to be watching, yet we were the only ones that were darker skinned. She finally approached us and asked “Are you all even going to buy anything.” I had not been affected by the ignorant lady who assumed because of our skin color we could not afford the things in that store.  I casually walked away, however my friend didn’t appreciate her comment and responded with “Why would be here if we weren’t buying anything genius.” Before my friend continued with what I knew would create a scene, I pulled her away and we continued shopping. When it was time to check out, the manager who was working the reregister knew we were frequent customers there, and asked if we had any problems. I turned to the lady who had been following us around, but decided to take the high road. However as always my friend who can never keep quiet said “it was great other than this chick following us around assuming we were going to steal something.” After that the manager apologized and said he would talk to her, needless to say we never saw that lady working there again.

I found two organizations that would like to join in the fall one being China Care and the other being Hispanic Health Professions. China which is non-profit service organization dedicated to fundraising lifesaving surgeries for medically fragile orphans. They raise over $10,000 every year to sponsor surgeries ranging from cleft lip palate surgery to heart surgeries. Hispanic Health Professions is provides Hispanic pre-med, allied health, and pre-dent students with academic information, peer support, and cultural camaraderie. Being a volunteer has instilled in me that if I want to see change I have to go out there and do something about it. As a Hispanic it is important that we rise in society and no longer be known as the people who are uneducated and un-wealthy.

China Care: https://utexas.collegiatelink.net/organization/chinacare

Hispanic Health Professions: https://utexas.collegiatelink.net/organization/hispanichealthprofessionsorganization