Blog Post 8: Wildness as a Liminal Word and Humanimality

I remember I had this friend during college who would always party. She was really one wild woman.

His grieve and loss of his wife led him to become a drunk and have hallucinations. He was taken to a psychiatrist, and we never saw that wild man again.

As I was walking through the forest, I saw something with white fur and long ears. It must have been a wild animal!

After the murder of his sister, he was filled with hatred. That led him to become a wild beast, hungry for revenge.

My dog is always jumping around and can never sit still. He sure is a wild thing!

-Jaileen Gutierrez

Filed under Welcome

4 Responses to Blog Post 8: Wildness as a Liminal Word and Humanimality

1. aew2976

I loved hearing your different depictions of the word wild! Your examples were great, especially the ones where you showed the difference between wild beast and wild animal. Great job!

2. ack2234

Your senence with “wild beast” stood out to me as you used it to describe a vengeful human instead of an animal. It made me realize that “beast” could be used to characterize more than just a powerful animal.

3. aga2544

I like how descriptive your “wild” sentences are. Each one paints a narrative very well in only a few sentences. I especially liked how your sentence about the beast does not portray an animal or an unknown creature, but a human being instead. Your interpretation shows that humans too can be regarded as “wild” beasts.

4. njp768

I really liked how you used “wild” to describe your dog in the last example. That exemplifies how we use the word to describe many things in our world as wild, anything of the wild nature.