Blog Post 4: A rumbling end to Attack on Titan

A recent ‘wild’ song that I’ve heard is ‘The Rumbling’ from the band SiM. The band is composed of Japanese musicians and singers and mostly performs heavy metal and rock songs. The TV edit of the song was released last month on 10 January 2022 and the full version is now available on spotify since 7 February 2022. The TV edit of the song was also used as the opening theme for the final season of the currently airing hit anime called ‘Attack on Titan’.‘The Rumbling’ is a hard rock/metal song with english lyrics, which is rare for japanese bands. It ranked No. 1 at the US Hot Hard Rock Songs chart and brought this band to the limelight for a lot of people in the west.

The reason I think the song is wild is not because of the lyrics by themselves but from the conjunction of the lyrics and events taking place during the final season. The lyrics provide a new perspective to our protagonist, Eren Jaeger’s tumultuous and eventually flawed way of thinking. Since the last season of the show, we’ve seen Eren progress from the relatable protagonist to an insensitive monster. The lyrics ‘All I ever wanted to do was do right things, I never wanted to be the king’ show us that even when committing atrocious crimes like genocide, Eren thought that he was doing right by his people. This way of thinking is just unthinkable and ‘wild’. The later lyrics ‘If I lose it all, slip and fall. I will never look away’, given context from the show, seem to denote that even if Eren loses himself, his family, and his humanity trying to save his people by committing more atrocities, he won’t budge from the path he has adopted. That kind of determination, even if it is for all the wrong reasons, seems ‘wild’ to me. The metal/rock genre, along with the lyrics and visuals of the video make it a truly ‘wild’ experience for me.