The House That Jack Built

I recently saw a movie that was 2:30 hours long directed by Lars von Trier starring Matt Dillon. This movie was released November 29, 2018 and I personally think it is the wildest movie I have seen. This movie is about a guy in his 40ish who one day randomly thinks how easy it is to kill someone. The movie goes on to him describing each of his killings and it goes to show how heartless and crazy this man can really be. Just how he impulsively thought of how easy it is to kill someone, the killings show how there was really no thought or plan behind them, he just decided he was going to kill each person and did it. I believe this movie is wild because this isn’t only regular fast “done and go” murders, the way he executes the murders and the aftermath is what really struck me. It shows how careless he really is and how he had nothing but a desire to kill. 

The scene that really had me intrigued was one of a mother with her two children. The scene starts off with the four of them going on a target shooting area and we understand Jack is dating the girl. It then cuts off to the mother and both kids hiding from Jack and how he is essentially hunting them. Not only did he decide to hunt 3 people but it shows how he didn’t really even think of them as people but as targets. Jack without hesitation shoots both of the kids in front of their mother and prepares a picnic which he then sits everyone ( dead or alive ) around to eat. This really showed how crazy Jack was which really portrayed how wild the movie really is. 

Filed under Welcome

2 Responses to The House That Jack Built

1. jjg4922

After reading your blog and watching the trailer, I can definitely see how wild this film is! I find is so wild how he randomly just thinks that the act of killing is easy and decides to do it. Most murders are plan out and have some explanations behind it but he does it as if its a game. In our society if we think of something we have to do it rationally but jack shows how impulsive people can be. By your explanation, it seems that the film portrays how one can be if we do the things we think. While watching the trailer, I found the scene where he drags a body while driving insane. It shows how little he cares for the victim and the consequences. While I was seeing the blood of trail I was thinking he would be caught for sure. But it started to rain! That was really wild and insane to me. Definitely considering on watching the film.

2. tst598

This film and the way you describe it reminds me a lot of this one episode of criminal minds (season 2 episode 21) where they are trying to stop this pair of serial killer brothers who have been hunting humans for sport deep in the woods. The killer in “The House That Jack Built” & the killers in this episode seem to share a similar dispassionate disregard for human life (other than their own lives, of course). This makes me think the directors/writers behind both fictional stories are trying to send us a message about how valueing human life is really directly linked to our sense of morality.