Gloria

I like how when Gloria Anzaldúa proposes this question, it isn’t the type of question that you expect a literal response to. I think the way Anzaldua was proposing this question was to show how a wild tongue like hers was not made to stay quiet and be reserved. Because Anzaldua always stood for what she believed in and make a positive change, when the dentist told her they were “going to have to do something about [her] tongue,” it made her question what that really meant. Given the “strong and stubborn” personality she had, there was no way to stop a wild tongue like hers. In my opinion, although you can’t force a strong, opinionated person to keep to themselves, there are ways in which this wild tongue can be tamed. Because of the situation she was in and the hardships she faced such as racism and sexism, I believe there is a way to express opinions and thoughts for your own personal benefit. Knowing how and when to express your opinions is of importance due to her being considered a minority. There are always better, more appropriate ways to say the express your thoughts without having to hold back from what we have to say. You don’t necessarily have to “make it lie down” but know when to keep low and how to come up.

Filed under Welcome

One Response to Gloria

1. ts36942

I read your post and I found it hard to understand how you would “tame a wild tongue”. You keep asserting that there are ways to express opinions and thoughts but you don’t really explain how that would happen. I suppose your last line where you say “know when to keep low and how to come up” somehow helps in my understanding. I think that you meant to say that to “tame a wild tongue” one should just keep quiet until they find their opportunity to speak but ultimately that is just me projecting what I think you wanted to say. This post left me a bit confused is all.