Southern Hospitality

Texas has a strong stereotype. For some reason people think we all ride horses to school, live on ranches and wear cowboy boots. However, out of all the myths and falsehoods floating around one that I can proudly say rings true is the term southern hospitality. I never really thought much of it until I went to a Keith Urban concert in Boston this summer.

The calm before the storm

The calm before the storm

In July, I visited one of my roommates here at UT in her hometown of Boston. We thought it would be interesting to experience a country concert outside of the Texas atmosphere. Right away I was pointing out differences. There were hot dog vendors and popcorn stands scattered throughout the parking lot with people eating in lawn chairs and having a good time. Unlike my usual country venue, the Cynthia Woods Pavilion, which is strategically placed near a highly urbanized area of town, this venue was in the woods with beautiful trees filling out out the landscape.  We found an area in the lawn, set out our blanket and waited for opening act Brett Edredge to start. Slowly, our area was infested with swarms of young people in fake cowboy boots. The buzz was so loud I couldn’t hear Brett at all. People were standing and yelling throughout his entire set, something I was not familiar with at the Cynthia Woods. My personal bubble was popped within a matter of minutes with people stumbling all around me.

Keith Urban front and center singing  one of his latest hits "Cop Car"When Keith Urban came on the place exploded with excitement while he sang a few classics like “Days Go By” and “Kiss a Girl.” Before the show they had set up a stage in the lawn, so we sat near the rail knowing Keith would walk out to the stage to sing a few songs. As he walked up to the stage, I was tossed around like a rag doll, pushed and shoved and squeezed up against the railing. I would be lying if I said it wasn’t worth it just so I could see him perform “Cop Car” up close and personal. When he got off stage several people decided it would be fun to jump around the stage, dance around and flash the audience. Fifteen minutes and a few security guards later, the scene was thankfully over. Apparently, I did not get the memo that class and country do not co- exist in Boston.

Even though the atmosphere was unlike any in Texas, Keith Urban was worth the price of admission. His guitar skills and swoon worthy Australian accent make him a must see.

Sometimes we take things for granted. We have no idea how good we actually have it until it’s gone. Texas may have many stereotypes, but no one can deny that sweet southern hospitality. When it comes to country music concerts, I think I’ll stick with my Cavender’s boots and take my chances!

Filed under Live Music, New Country, Reflection, Texas

3 Responses to Southern Hospitality

1. Dustin Hixenbaugh

Strangely, I just returned from a wedding in Boston. I was put at the “Texas table” and, when the dad’s bride welcomed everybody, he pointed our table out as the group of people most likely to tear up the dance floor. (I didn’t.) I didn’t grow up in Texas, so I understand that people from other states have certain ideas about it. But it seems like people in the Northeast have particularly strong impressions about Texas — ones that are either irritating or impossible to live up to!

2. Holly Kern

Alyssa I really enjoyed your article. I have never been to a concert outside of Texas so I was trying to live through you in your article for some experience! I’m sad that people were cramming you and I hope that didn’t make your experience any less enjoyable but it makes me wonder. I wonder if country artists like to perform in certain areas more than others? Like I’m super bias but I feel like people in the south have more so-called “country roots” then say people in Boston, so we can relate more to country artists lyrics for the most part. I wonder if artists have ever admitted to enjoying playing more in the south compared to the North where people may not relate to the lyrics as well as born and raised Texans do. Thanks you sharing your experience!

3. Zane Gurwitz

First off, this is a great post and so true. While I was in high school I played on travel baseball teams with kids from across the country. Regardless where they were from, they were very easily convinced that Texans do fall under the stereotype of riding horses to school and living on farms. I thought it was interesting that this venue would have popcorn stands and hotdog vendors, especially since no country music venue in Texas does this. Although I am sure Keith was great, I probably would have had just as a terrible time as you did being around this somewhat “fake” country music venue compared to what we are used too.