“If I could write a letter to me”… 5 country songs that portray exactly what you want to say your younger self in college!

Brad Paisley’s classic song, “If I could write a letter to me,” tells a story of a man listing everything he wish he would have told “his self at 17.” As a graduating senior of UT Austin, I listen to that song and think, “What would I want to tell myself introat the beginning of college if I had the chance?” While we are deep in the trenches of college it is easy to become overwhelmed with the pressure to succeed, the inconceivable amount of course work, the constant battle to get a decent quantity of sleep each week to see the bright light at the end of the tunnel. Every college needs a letter from their future self to know that, all that you’re going through in the moment is so worth it, whether you can conceive the thought or not. This list is compiled of country songs that can do the speaking for you. Check out the five things your 18 year-old self would have loved to have known as you struggled through freshmen year. The playlist progresses as the different struggles of each new year presents themselves, from freshmen year to that glorious final year, and beyond!

Freshmen Year:

1) If You’re Going Through Hell (2006)- Rodney Atkins

Wise words to your younger self: ““If you’re going through hell. Keep on going, don’t slow down, if you’re scared, don’t show it. You might get out before the devil even knows you’re there.”

The Great Transition! This is the year that you are leaving the comfort of your high school network and your parent’s house to make it on your own in this big ol’ world. There are always hard times in life and it is easy to succumb to the challenges, but you have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and get through it. This song is jammed packed with inspirational lyrics that can help anyone know that they can 1st songmake it, and it’s the exact words your younger self would’ve love to hear their first semester of college (and every semester after that!) Think back to how you felt that dreadful first year at a new University; struggling emotionally, academically, financially, and if you pledged a fraternity, physically. You probably didn’t know a lot of people and you often felt at your lowest point. Looking back at those times now after you’ve graduated, made tons of friends, and found that dream job, it’s easier to encourage yourself. Keep pressing on during the hard times and soon enough you’ll find that you’ve made it through to the other side.

Sophomore Year:

2). Find Out Who Your Friends Are (2007)- Tracy Lawrence

Wise words to your younger self: “You find out who your friends are, Somebody’s gonna drop everything.”

You’re a year in, and now that you have better footing on how to manage all that college throws at you, it’s easier to focus on your social life. Run out of gas, can’t pay your rent, lose your job, these are the events that help weed out the real from the fake. When the struggles of life hit you, a lot of people who you thought were your “friends” easily jump ship and somehow forget who you are when you ask for help, but these are the2nd song times when you find out who your true friends are. It’s a good reminder to your younger self that you’ll meet tons of people in college; some good, some bad, some who you will just speak to in passing, and then those who are going to be lifelong friends. A journal entry in Harvard Magazine read that college friends are special because, “showing someone a matured version of oneself is different from growing through those changes together,’’ meaning that as you experience life together the bonds you create now will stick with you because it’s helped you mature as a person. You’re younger self would appreciate to know that their true friends are out there, those one’s who will “never stop to think ‘what’s in it for me?”

Junior Year:

3). It’s Five O’ Clock Somewhere (2013)- Allen Jackson ft. Jimmy Buffet

Wise words to your younger self: “it’s five o’clock somewhere. It’s always on five in Margaritaville, come to think of it.”

Around this time you have finally reached 21 and can legal go out with friends for drinks whenever you want. The stress that comes with classes, your job, and extracurricular activities can really take a toll on you, and what’s the3rd song best way to deal with the stresses of life? Drowning them out at your favorite bar/lounge. It’s okay to go out and have a couple drinks to take your mind off of the hassles that are waiting for you when return home. I think we would have all loved to hear, “Yes, it’s okay for you to be drinking at noon, because remember, it’s five o’ clock somewhere! You are in college; it is basically a way of life. Don’t worry you’re going to be fine in the future… trust me!”

4). Wasted (2005)- Carrie Underwood

Wise words to your younger self: I don’t wanna spend my life jaded, waiting to wake up one day and find that I let all these years go by wasted.”

Also during this time you are thinking more of your future plans, while at the same time reminiscing about the first half4th song of your college life. No one wants to look back on their life and have to constantly say, “I wish I would have done…” Regrets are a terrible thing to live with, so why wouldn’t you want to live life to the fullest? To quote Ellie from the Pixar film “UP,” “Adventure is out there,” it’s just up to us to go out and explore. Your younger self should know this in college, because life could easily just pass us by as we try to earn a degree and we won’t experience all of what college has to offer. So, go on that study abroad trip to Spain, join that intermural team, rush that sorority or fraternity you always wanted to join, take that summer internship you’ve been dreaming about, go on spontaneous road trips on the weekends, fall in love with the cute guy/girl in your OChem class. According to New York Times Magazine, research says that the biggest regret that people have is a lost romantic opportunity, not that they didn’t go to class enough, or their study habits. We would have loved to have known that while being cooped up in the library for hours instead of enjoying some of the best years of our lives.

Senior Year:

5). You’re Gonna Miss This (2008)- Trace Adkins

Wise words to your younger self: “You’re gonna miss this. You’re gonna want this back. You’re gonna wish these days hadn’t gone by so fast”

This is it! You’ve made it to the finish line! It’s so easy to only think of the future and how badly you want to be there. Especially in college, you want to hurry and graduate in four years to escape the course load, the stress of tests, the fact that you’re always broke, the haunting thought of how much debt you’re accumulating, but when they day comes, as happy as you’re going to be… you’re going to miss it. The all nighters that gave you so much hell, the late night talks about life with your roommate, all the amazingly fun events on campus, the parties, tailgating at sporting events, even your professors. I know 5th roomthat it seems like you’re always having to “go to this meeting,” or “finish this paper,” but you’re actually as free during this time than you will ever be. Samantha Matt, a writer for Huffington Post, wrote on her blog that one thing she missed about college was “having more free time,” because once you get in the real world with real life responsibilities there isn’t much room for messing around. It’s an amazing feeling to embark on a new journey in life, yet it’s a bittersweet farewell to the chapter that you’re closing. So please listen to Trace’s words and head his advice when he says, “These are some good times, so take a good look around. You may not know it now, but you’re gonna miss this.” Take in every moment, the bad along with the good; you’re going to need stories to tell your grandkids in the future.

Adulthood:

6). Find Yourself (2006)-Brad Paisley

Wise words to your younger self: “When you go through life, So sure of where you’re headin’, And you wind up lost, And it’s the best thing that could have happened, ‘Cause sometimes when you lose your way, It’s really just as well, Because you find yourself, Yeah, that’s when you find yourself.”

You’re fresh out of college with a degree in something that you love. The world is at your fingertips right? You are on your way to living the life you’ve always dreamed of right? This isn’t true for everyone. Sometimes it’s hard to find a job that fits the degree you have. Sometimes what you thought you loved doing doesn’t give you fulfillment you assumed it would. Or maybe you didn’t get the job that you had been banking on and are left completely confused. This song is a reminder that life is a journey and whatever road you end up taking, it ultimately leads you to become the person you were always meant to be. Take some to travel, find a new hobby, take a job that you would have never considered in college. All of these things could bring out skills, passions, and characteristics out of you that were completely unnoticed earlier in life. As life progresses you will inevitably find out who you were created to be and fulfill the purpose that you are called too. So even if things aren’t looking the way you planned, doesn’t mean that you aren’t taking steps toward your destiny.

In her blog, “11 things I wish I knew before going to college,” Sarah Bourassa writes that one of those things was to “stay one step ahead.” Which is so good, because like many people who have already graduated, you would have loved someone who has gone ahead of you to guide you through the roller coaster ride you would be on for the next four or so years. I’m sure that there are plenty of other things that you would love to tell your younger self that is unique to you, but I believe these songs cover a lot of our sentiments, when it comes to doing college over again. Even though all these songs speak to different areas of our lives while in college, they all point to the same purpose; great advice that would make getting those treacherous four years with a little less scars and whole lot more joy. Even though, it may be too late for many of us to get insight from this post, you have the opportunity to send it someone you know who is just at the starting gate to give them a leg up, while also giving them some awe-inspiring country hits to listen to.

Filed under Uncategorized

8 Responses to “If I could write a letter to me”… 5 country songs that portray exactly what you want to say your younger self in college!

1. Erin McWilliams

Brittany,
    I love this post so much. It is so incredibly accurate! I’m only a sophomore, but I can still relate to it. When songs like these come on, I get so sentimental and always make it a personal goal to try to slow life down after doing so, but it just never happens. The little snippets about studies or articles from places like Huffington Post and NY Times solidifies and gives validity your argument–I would have never though to do this in an reflection piece, good work!

2. Cassidy Wilson

Wow, this was such an awesome clever post. I can tell you really thought all of this out. I am not even a senior yet and it made me really appreciate the life I have in college now. You picked great songs to back up your claim as well. I love how you showed that country music can really relate to any stage go life you are going through. All around this was a great post and I really enjoyed reading it. It seemed like it could be one of those relatable listicles on Facebook or something. haha 🙂

3. Mackenzi McAfee

this is brilliant and spot on! I totally relate to every song that you listed and am currently at the “You’re gonna miss this point” in my college career and I absolutely don’t want it to end. This post is so relatable to every college student and you did an awesome job explaining and backing up where each song belongs in the list. You could totally post this on social media and have tons of nostalgic college students repost!

4. Katerina Biancardi

This was such a cute post! You did a fantastic job first by organizing the order by class and pairing such perfect songs to match each year in college. I am a sophomore, and found this post was really relatable. Also, it made me reflect upon my freshman year experience and how at times it was a bit of hell when learning what college is all about. More than though, the senior year and adulthood songs definitely had me feeling the feels! I certainly am not ready for that yet. I totally agree with Mackenzi! You should totally post this on fb, I know a lot of people will like it!

5. Kevin Lefkowitz

This post could not be more accurate! I really liked how you broke up the different years, but included two for Junior year. I’m a Junior right now and it really is incredible how you stated it. There is the culture of 5 o’clock somewhere at the same time as it being Junior year and the responsibilities of success. Balancing work and play has really become the theme for the year. That said, I really don’t look forward to having the “You’re Gonna Miss This” part of college. College has been so great and I don’t want to leave. Katerina is right, post this somewhere! It can go viral!

6. Tyler King

Great post. I love how you made this listicle that goes well with the process of getting through college. I think this is perfect for someone who’s about to go to college. I love that Rodney Adkins song and knew it was prefect right when I heard that quote you put in there came up in the song. The Jimmy Buffet song is prefect because by that time that you are a junior, almost everyone is 21 and that’s how a lot of people I know go about their life right now. “You’re Gonna Miss This” is great for senior year because I know so many people who have said to enjoy college and what it’s worth while you’re there.

7. Laura Morales

I really loved reading this and thought it was incredibly creative! I really enjoyed the images on here too! I hadn’t heard some of the songs but I looked them up and I was able to relate to a lot of them. I think your commentary and interpretations of the songs were also very spot on! I still have some time left before I graduate but after reading what you had to say with “You’re Gonna Miss This”, it made me reflect on everything. I’m currently swamped with papers, projects, and exams and even though it seems like the end of the world and stress overload, I may just have to look at it in a different perspective and really enjoy all of what college has to offer!

8. Mae

This is such a cool post! I always think it’s so awesome how one song can literally define your life at a given moment. Your post really made me nostalgic about how fun high school was but how stupid I acted the whole time, but in terms of college… we are now a little more mature and we still made it THE time of our lives. College is such an important part of life, I would not be the person I am today without the thousands of defining moments of making new friends, prioritizing 6th street over going to class the next day, meeting cute boys, and so on. Your songs are perfect reflections of the true feelings every college student may go through, but I think the best one is “you’re gonna miss this”, because with less than two weeks left in college and NO plans for a job next year, I truly am going to miss every single part of college (even the bad). Postgrad reality is looking pretty scary right now, but at least we always have country music to make us feel better. 🙂