My Dad, Tim McGraw and I

People here in Texas wouldn’t expect for me to be a country music fan because I am from California, but I actually grew up listening to country music. My dad’s country music albums were constantly playing in our house as a kid, so my brother and I basically grew up listening to it. The first concert that I ever went to was just my dad and I, and we watched Pat Green play at the Staples Center when I was eight. Ever since then, going to country concerts has always been something that I do with my dad.

IMG_0572The summer going into my senior year in high school my dad surprised me with Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw concert tickets that he had gotten through his work. They were playing at Angel’s baseball stadium and our tickets were sitting right on the field in front of the stage. They weren’t exactly seats, they were just a general area that you could stand it right in front of the stage so it was a little weird being in the mosh pit with a bunch of intoxicated young people while I was with my dad, but it was worth it for how close we were. We only caught the last few songs of Jake Owen (who was the opening act), which I was a little bummed about because I love a few of his songs. But then after that, Tim McGraw came on who is my favorite country music artist by far. He played a perfect mixture between his old and new songs, which was great because I knew pretty much all of them but my dad only knew the older ones so he got to hear the new songs he’s come out with. He was really interactive with the audience, which I thought was exciting and towards the end of his performance the sun was setting over the stage so it was a picture perfect moment for me.

IMG_0573As I am now looking back into my photo albums from the concert I realized that every single picture I took was of Tim, and I didn’t have a single picture from when Kenny Chesney performed. I think that was partially because it was dark by the time Kenny came on, and also maybe a little bit because I am a bigger fan of Tim McGraw. Kenny was an amazing performer however; he entered the stage on a blue chair while singing “Old Blue Chair” that was lowered from above the stage. Kenny explained to the crowd that his favorite thing in the world to do is travel to different beaches around the world, which explains why a majority of his music videos take place on the beach. His whole performance revolved around the paradise that he finds when he goes to exotic beaches so there were videos of gorgeous sunsets and waves constantly playing while he sang.

Overall, this was one of the best concerts that I have ever been to and I am still grateful that I got to go with my dad. I think country music gives off a feel-good vibe to its listeners and even more so for me because whenever I hear it, it reminds me of my childhood and all the concerts that I have gotten to go to with my dad.

Filed under Live Music, New Country, Reflection

5 Responses to My Dad, Tim McGraw and I

1. Dustin Hixenbaugh

My Dad and I don’t see to eye to eye about a lot of things, but we do like sharing music and concert experiences with one another. Recently, he met me in North Carolina while I was attending a conference there and took me to see Rosanne Cash perform in Durham. She’s a country star who’s been below my radar for a long time, but the concert was brilliant. Your post has helped me realize that the concerts I have enjoyed the most I have attended with people I care a lot about. It’s amazing how many different pieces fall into place making a live show a great experience for everyone involved.

2. Minsu Kim

I think it’s crazy that Jake Owen was just an opening act at the time, because he is really famous now and he probably wouldn’t do opening acts anymore! Also, it’s really cool that you can share musical experiences with your dad, because my dad and I have completely different tastes in music, which is pretty sad. What is your favorite Tim McGraw song? Mine is Southern Girl and Highway Don’t Care, featuring Taylor Swift. Also, Kenny Chesney’s beach songs are awesome. Those are all I listen to during summer!

3. Dustin Hixenbaugh

Amy & Minsu: It’s funny to me that we are talking about fathers AND Kenny Chesney. My mom once took all of us to see Kenny play in Cheyenne, and my dad acted like it was the most painful experience ever. I think he was uncomfortable with… How do I put this? Kenny’s sex appeal? It was kind of like a strip show without any clothes coming off, and the mostly female audience was egging him on.

4. Holly Kern

I really enjoyed your blog Amy. I think its cool that most of our fondest music memories (usually in the form of concerts) are with our parents. I remember the first concert my dad took me to was the Dixie Chicks in 1st grade and we didn’t get home til around 1AM and I was telling all my friends the next day how late I got to stay up to see the Dixie Chicks. I also had the pleasure of seeing Kenny Chesney with a friend a couple years ago and his concert was AMAZING! He is such an entertainer I could’ve stayed and listened to him for hours, and not to mention stared at him for hours, he’s #dreamy. I haven’t gotten to see Tim McGraw yet but he is on my short list of concerts to see in the future! Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures!

5. Lejla Pracic

I am a fan of Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney. I think it’s so cool how you got to go to a concert with your dad. It sounds so fun. My dad and I enjoy a lot of the same music. He likes country music and I absolutely love it. My dad’s and I song is “My Little Girl”. It’s the perfect song to describe our relationship. I think you’re right, country music does give off that feel good vibe, and I think it just brings people together. Good country music, family and friends, and a good setting calls for a great time. I have a few concerts on my bucket list to attend and Tim McGraw is definitely one of them.