Missing the Houston Rodeo

hlsrIf you are from Houston, Texas and you say you have never been to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, your fellow Houstonians pretty much look at you as if you are from another planet. Such a thing is almost unheard of.

Every year since I can remember, I have attended the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, with the exception of last year (my first year of college). Unfortunately, this year might be my second year without the rodeo. As a native Houstonian and fan of country music, this truly saddens me. With all that is currently going on in my life, I have learn to prioritize and come to accept the fact that there will always be next year.

Although the rodeo does not begin until March, the hype usually begins when the New Year rolls around. Everyone who is a usual Houston rodeo attendee knows that the lineup is released in mid-January, which causes a suspenseful beginning of the year. As soon as the lineup is released everyone is on the internet already planning out which rodeo concerts they are going to attend.

Every year, like my fellow Houstonians, I partake in this waiting game anxious to discover who will be performing at the rodeo this year. However, this year I did not even bother to participate and instead I slept in just as anyone who is oblivious to the release of the rodeo lineup would do . As much as I wanted to anxiously wait for the lineup to be released, I didn’t want to be disappointed because of the fact that I won’t have the time in my schedule to visit Houston in the month of March.

rodeoAs much as I hate to admit it, I have slowly come to accept the fact that as I grow older the less time I will have for things of leisure such as attending the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. I highly encourage anyone who has never attended the Houston Rodeo to do so at some point in their life. If you are a fan of country music, mutton bustin’, bull riding, and fried foods then the Houston Rodeo is definitely the place for you. Unfortunately tickets have already gone on sale for this year’s shows and most shows are probably sold out, but there is always next year for you to be able to attend. I know there are many other cities who host their own annual rodeo, but I feel that the Houston Rodeo is one of the greatest events (I may be a bit biased) that occurs each year.

Filed under Live Music, Reflection, Texas

5 Responses to Missing the Houston Rodeo

1. Haha. It is true that “fried foods” are as important at these kinds of events as country music and rodeos are. What specific foods do you eat at the Houston Livestock Show? At Cheyenne Frontier Days, I used to eat my own weight in funnel cakes.

2. Emma Morgan

I have been experiencing your exact same feelings ever since going to college! I’ve lived in Houston my whole life and have grown up going to the Houston Rodeo every single year. Unfortunately I haven’t been since I started college just like you. Rodeo season is one of my favorite times of the year and it always brings so many memories. I wanted to be excited for the lineup release also but I just knew it would be a letdown. It was especially upsetting when I found out Alan Jackson and some of my other favorites were playing during times I would have to be at school. Hopefully I’ll have the chance to go at some point during Spring Break because it would kill me to have to miss another year!

3. Julianne Staine

I’m also from Houston and grew up attending the Houston rodeo! I actually haven’t been since I was in high school when I would go almost every single night (at least to the fair to ride all of those fun and nauseating rides!) but I am going back this year and I am so excited! It always makes me laugh though because of the eclectic mix of performers at the rodeo. For such a country affair, this year they have Ariana Grande and other big pop stars coming to town. I will even admit that I have seen Selena Gomez perform there…I’m sorry you can’t make it this year!

4. Jordanne M.

I am from Houston as well and have never been to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. I talked to my parents about going to a concert at the rodeo once (because I’ve never been to a concert), and they deemed me as someone who wouldn’t like live music. Oh how they are wrong. It’s not just about the music, it’s about the overall experience. Anyway, I did look at the lineup for this year’s rodeo a while after it was released and only one artist was sold out. Luke Bryan. I’m neutral when it comes to Luke Bryan, but I couldn’t believe he was the first sold out concert. Maybe I’ll go to the Rodeo next year.

5. I think Luke Bryan is the Matthew McConnaghey (did I spell that right?!) of country music. He flew under the radar for a while and gathered support from a lot of fans who thought he was underappreciated. Then suddenly he exploded and is everywhere. He’ll probably win the Entertainer of the Year award the the ACMs in Dallas next month.