The Country in Fort Worth

As told from Urban Dictionary, “Fort Worth is the craziest dopest place in Texas”. From a different perspective, Urban Dictionary also says, “Save yourself some time and just move to Dallas.” Twenty years ago, I was born in Fort Worth, Texas and with every passing year, the love for my city grew. The people I familiarized myself with, including my family, friends, peers, etc., all felt the same way. When people ask where I am from, I simply say I am a Fort Worthian, or I originate from the Worthiest of Forts. Living in this great city for my entire life has led me to build a permanent and meaningful community. Those who are Fort Worth bred are proud and share a unanimous collective effervescence. This mutual feeling was accumulated most prominently in schools, where kids would share their ideas and family customs. The Fort Worth public school I attended allowed us to listen to our iPods during recess, and some teachers let us listen to them during class or passing periods. Music is one of the things that enabled me to bond with my fellow classmates. A wide array of genres was also blasted at McLean Middle School. One of the more prominent types of music blared was country music. Growing up in Fort Worth has inadvertently exposed me to the world of country music. Texas is teeming with country music, whether you think it or not. Living in Fort Worth supported the introduction to this type of music. One event that endorsed country music was the Fort Worth Stock Show. At the end of every January and beginning of every February, the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo comes to life. The promotion of livestock, horse and bull riding, petting zoos, roller coasters, and country music all coincide into a dollop of fun. This is just one of the factors that constructed my outlook on country music. When high school rolled around, more and more of my friends started going to country concerts at Lone Star. Mardi Gras Texas Style was the one country concert that every kid from Fort Worth and Dallas attended. Bands such as Randy Rogers Band, Turnpike Troubadours, Cody Johnson Band, and more, play their music. Being involved in the Fort Worth community really and truly helped formulate my outlook and perspective on country music. A song that everyone loved in middle school and high school, probably even today, is Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band. This song was huge in Fort Worth. Radio stations including 99.5, 95.9, and 96.7 all repeatedly played this at the same time, almost as though they planned it. Listening to Zac Brown automatically lifted any dark clouds and always put my friends and me in a good mood.

Filed under Austin, Blog Post 1, Class work, Texas

2 Responses to The Country in Fort Worth

1. Kelby Floerke

Such a good blog post, I laughed at you calling yourself a “Fort Worthian”…never heard that one before! Sounds like I’ll have to go visit the Worthiest of Forts. I always hear about Fort Worth Stock Show, but I have never been. I think that will have to be a trip just in itself. I love the song Chicken Fried by the Zac Brown Band, I bet every agrees that it puts them in a good mood. It’s one of those songs you just want to dance to. I remember when it first came out, every radio station was playing it…but it never gets old that is for sure!

2. Claudia Boyd

Abby,
    This post really makes Fort Worthians proud. I remember going to Texas Mardi Gras as a sophomore and that was one of the first times was exposed to country music, fort worth style. You mentioned going to Billy Bob’s as well, which really brings me back to living at home. You did a great job in highlighting how special Fort Worth is, and how great of a place it is to grow up!! I really enjoyed reading this as it brought me back to home.