From American Idol to My Ultimate Girl Crush

From the moment Carrie Underwood walked on stage in front of the original (and arguably best ever) three judges of American Idol, I immediately developed the biggest girl crush on this random girl from Oklahoma with pipes that could take anyone’s breath away. Sometimes I go back to watch her first audition and I still get goose bumps. Carrie Underwood dominated season four of American Idol from the beginning, winning the hearts of fans from all over the country.

For me, there is no artist on my iPod that I listen to more frequently. Walking to class, going on a road trip, dancing in my room (no shame,) really almost everything I have ever done I have done it at least once while listening to Carrie Underwood. There is something about her music that is so relatable, especially to girls my age.

She is humble and from a small-town, and unassumingly beautiful. I look up to her in so many ways, but the most impressive thing that she has done in my opinion is keeping a level head and being normal when the pressures of Hollywood so often push stars into strange phases just so they can gain more popularity *cough Miley Cyrus cough.*

MileyA huge moment in my life was my first Carrie Underwood concert. The atmosphere and show that she put on were exuberating. She played some of my favorite songs such as “Last Name,” “All-American Girl,” and “Get Out of This Town.” Seeing how much fun she was having and hearing how amazing she sounded live created one of the coolest feelings I have ever felt. I am sure the whole audience felt the same way, but for me I realized that singing is something I could want to pursue.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved singing. In middle school, I started singing a little bit more publicly, but after high school and through my first couple years of college I have been pretty low-key about it—literally. If you were to ask any of my college friends, none of them would have any idea that I love to sing and it might be something that I want to make a career of. I’m not saying that I am as good as Carrie Underwood, but she has inspired me to pursue music.

Whether or not I ever make it big like her is honestly highly unlikely, I get that. But I will always love singing along with her as if I was on stage.

Filed under Blog Post 2, Country Pop

9 Responses to From American Idol to My Ultimate Girl Crush

1. Annie G

I would never call myself a good singer but I absolutely love attempting to belt out Carrie Underwood songs. Her songs always make me feel better, or run faster, or just do anything better. I completely agree with what you said about her handling fame better than most other stars, the number of breakdowns famous people have these days is astounding and she’s has really kept herself grounded. I definitely feel like she’s a huge role model to girls, young and old, because of her talent and success. You are not alone in your admiration of Carrie Underwood! I honestly don’t think anyone from American Idol has had as successful of a career as Carrie.

2. Alyssa Buchanan

I could not agree more to Annie’s comment- screaming out some Carrie song’s does the heart good, though I will never ever ever be anywhere near the same planet of America’s sweetheart in terms of vocals… or anything for that matter! You are spot on when you say that it is impressive to see Carrie keep her composure living the life that she does. However, I kind of feel like it is more common for pop singers to run off the deep end and it to be in the public eye more so than country singers. But either way, Carrie can do no wrong.

3. Sierra Smith

Kaki, this is a great post! I can really see how Carrie Underwood is such an inspiration due to her fabulous voice, uplifting messages in her songs, and by remaining level headed when the times get tough. It couldn’t be more true what you said about famous stars letting the pressures of Hollywood push you into strange phases like Miley Cyrus. Everyone from Britney Spears, to Lindsay Lohan, to Miley Cyrus, and even Justin Bieber tend to let the overwhelming influence of the public and the pressure of remaining famous get to them, resulting in a negative downward spiral. Its amazing to see that Carrie Underwood, along with Taylor Swift and even Selena Gomez, have not fallen to those pressures of society and still create number 1 hits for their fans to enjoy.

4. Talia

I hate to admit it but as much as I love country music I am not a huge fan of many females in the industry. However, Carrie has been one of the few to break the norm for me and get me listening to a woman. As an American Idol fan from the beginning to the end I remember seeing her audition for the first time as well. The way Carrie sings and carries herself seems so pure. She really is what I consider an All American girl. I love being a fan of hers because like you mentioned she’s just an amazing role model in all aspects. I mean as a wife, mother, and daughter I can’t imagine having much better. Mike Fisher is one lucky man as honestly I am unashamed to say her and Jennifer Lopez are my famous Woman Crushes! I also want to thank American Idol for putting Scotty McCreery into my life as well. (Bucky Covington, Casey James, Kellie Pickler are alright too)

5. Stephanie Sebo

First of all, great girl crush. I mean, have you seen those legs?! She is walking perfection! I still remember hanging out with my neighbors by the tree when I was younger bolting out “AND I DUG MY KEY INTO THE SIDE…” I’m surprised how brave of a child I was, considering I definitely do not have the singing voice for all that. I’d have to agree that she has always stayed very down to earth and that is one of the things I enjoy most about Carrie Underwood. She always owns the stage and shows such confidence, which makes her a great role model.

6. Caitie Labay

How could anyone not love Carrie?! Haha this is a great article, your love for her really shines through! One of my favorite parts of the article was actually the hyperlink to her first audition; it may seem like such a small thing but I really appreciated getting to click right to it. I unfortunately did not watch her season of American Idol so it was so fun for me to get to see a clip of her from way back when. She had as good of a voice as ever! I also agree that she is such a breath of fresh air in comparison to her fellow artists in other genres; her powerful and inspiring lyrics will never go out of style!

7. Claudia Boyd

First off, I am a HUGE Carrie Underwood fan so whenever I see posts about her I read every detail. You do a great job in taking us from American Idol to the total bombshell that she is now. Just yesterday when watching her Sunday Night Football intro, I asked my dad if he remembered watching her on American Idol. I really think that she is the most successful artist to come out of that show. She truly encompasses all aspects of the term “girl crush.” Thanks for sharing this post, I really enjoyed reading it.

8. Candace Edgley

I’m also a huge Carrie Underwood fan, although I didn’t watch American Idol so I was a little late on the bandwagon. My favorite song is More Boys I Meet, it’s a song I 100% relate to. She’s one of very few idols of mine growing up that wasn’t involved in any sort of serious scandal, my mother never banned her from the house, which is more than I can say for the Dixie Chicks. I also love that her music (and wardrobe) is so diverse! She bops around from classic country sounds to pop country to rock influenced country and she sports everything from sparkly ballgowns to boots and button downs while she does it.

9. Max Holter

This is an old post so I don’t know if you will see this, but I thought this was really well written. Everything I see from Carrie Underwood makes me a little bit more of a fan, and this was nothing different. The link to her first audition was awesome, that six minutes flew by. I also am always in shock of how great her voice is. I would have maybe liked to see something about her doing sound of music live, because I thought that was really good as a comparison to what Miley does (that gif was something special). I thought this was an awesome post and I hope you keep singing, and maybe make something of it!