Toby Keith Preaches… Acceptance?

Typically people don’t associate advocating for acceptance with Country music but Keith’s bar-anthem “I Love This Bar” is all about welcoming all. This song is deceptively progressive and impressively easy to find yourself singing along to.

Most of Toby Keith’s songs from this album are fun songs about drinking, women, and dreams but this one is a little bit more. This song is an interesting mix of progressive politics and classic Toby Keith Country. The backdrop for this song is a bar reminiscent of Cheers with Keith singing loving about his favorite bar but what is surprising is his attitude toward the patrons that frequent it. At first this song appears to not be any different as he mentions “smokers,” and, “boozers,” and “bikers,” but when he mentions, “yuppies” one realizes that this might go somewhere different. Some of the more unexpected people that are mentioned throughout the song include, high-techs, lovers, divorces, and hookers, however what really suggests an even more accepting atmosphere is the comparisons of opposites like, “winners and losers,” and, “a dumbass and a wiseguy”. These comparisons of opposites imply that not only those types of people are allowed in but so too are all those in between. Toby Keith really creates an image of a motley group of people.

In my mind, the strongest and most powerful part of this song is the end of the chorus, which goes, “Just walking through the front door / puts a big smile on my face / it ain’t to0 far, come as you are”. Hearing this celebratory and lighthearted song drop the line, “Come as you are,”  makes me smile because I think that is how the topic of acceptance should be approached – positively. Toby Keith approaches the topic of acceptance not in an accusatory or frustrated way, but in a way that is highlights and celebrates the diversity of the bar. One can imagine themselves in this bar, walking in and seeing inviting faces, which I think is a better catalyst for change than a negative song.

If nothing else, I think that this song fits perfectly with the rest of Toby Keith’s songs on the album like “As Good as I Once Was” and “I’m Just Talkin’ About Tonight”. The fact that Keith managed to stick to his sound and produce a song with an atypical meaning is impressive. Finally, the message of acceptance in this song that is not typically associated with Country music, and I am glad that it does such an effective job at demonstrating it positively.

Filed under Blog Post 2, New Country

5 Responses to Toby Keith Preaches… Acceptance?

1. Stephanie Sebo

I love when country singers sing about things that aren’t typical to the genre. This Toby Keith song is an interesting choice, but I really enjoy it. He has shown great acceptance in his life and I think this song is a way to tell people what he is really all about. Toby Keith has always been one of my favorite artists, so it’s no surprise that I love this song and what it says. I think he should continue to sing songs with deeper meaning, like this one. It will do well to keep his big fan base even bigger.

2. Darah Welch

I really enjoyed this post because I was not totally sure what to expect from the title. This song was really unique to analyze because I feel as if diversity is not generally discussed in country music. I’m oddly reminded of the song we listened to in class monday called “Country Boy.” Although he is dressed like a city slicker, underneath he is still a country boy at heart. I feel like this relates to this song because Keith might be making the point that although everyone who comes in may be dressed differently or talk differently or something they all share a love for that bar and maybe for country. It is not always what we look like that defines our passions and interests.

3. Annie G

At first I didn’t recognize the song but when it started playing I immediately remembered every single word from hearing it growing up. It honestly reminds me of Garth Brooks’s “Friends in Low Places” because of the speed of it. It’s kind of a slow song but still peppy, which is how I feel like the Garth song is. It’s also funny like “Friends in Low Places” in the message that it sends. Thanks for reminding me of how much I love this song! I hadn’t realized what a big impact Toby Keith had on country music until reading your post and the one above, I guess I just hadn’t put his name next to his songs in my head!

4. Amanda

John,
    I really enjoyed that you chose this song to focus on. I personally have been to this bar made famous by Toby Keith and even purchased a T- shirt with a picture of him plastered across the front of it, rhinestones and all. I never really realized how much this song was speaking about acceptance until reading this post. I think its very admirable how Keith brings in such an important and timely topic/ issue in society into his song without being too blunt or serious. He makes it more subtle and enjoyable, almost glorifying the meaning of accepting people of all types and backgrounds, creating a positive outlook for diversity. I think this is an awesome way for artists to get their political beliefs out into the open while still creating a fun, catchy, and upbeat track for listeners to jam to.

5. Candace Edgley

In my post about Toby I lumped this song in with his typical crazy drinkin’ songs, but had I read your post first I might have reconsidered. I love Toby and everything he does (musically), but I definitely never thought about a deeper meaning this song could be presenting. I haven’t heard this song in quite a while, and listening to it again in the context of your post was nostalgic and new at the same time. Toby manages to be a fighter and a lover at the same time and this song is a great example of his openness and friendly nature that most people don’t expect from him. It’s a bar I’d love to visit.