Country Music Is A Family Matter

One community that I would clearly identify myself with would be my immediate family. That would include my parents my two sisters my brother their spouses and their kids. These are the people that I’ve spent my whole life with day in and day out and they’re people that I’m really close with. That’s because they really understand who I am. Country music figures into this community because these are the people that showed me what country music was all about. One of the earliest country music concerts I can remember going to was with my parents at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo when Brooks & Dunn were playing their last tour and they were playing in Houston. Brooks & Dunn was one of my dad’s favorite groups to listen to back in the day.

9bb03d919316f9f39f264b18508ac12d

Brooks and Dunn at Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

Going to the rodeo continued for a while as we would always try to find a country music artist to go see, we would go see people like George Strait, Eli Young Band, and the Zac Brown Band. This love for Texas country music followed me into college as I found myself trying to go see artist like Roger Creager and Josh Abbott Band when I was going to school at the University of Texas at San Antonio. As my siblings got older and went off to college they started to find Texas country music which they would bring back and show to me and that’s where I started to grow my love for Texas country music. Whenever we all get together we still find ourselves listening to country music and sometimes even Texas country. As we’ve all gotten older we still try to go to concerts together since we find ourselves listening to similar artists and groups and wanting to see them live. Country music has been in my life for almost all 21 years I’ve been around and it’s kind of like the phrase, “you can take me out of Texas, but you can’t take the Texas out of me,” country music will always be something that is a part of me.

Filed under Blog Post 1

5 Responses to Country Music Is A Family Matter

1. Julie Kleberg

I really enjoyed your post because I come from a similar background where country music was always a thing. My first concert was also Brooks and Dunn and I will never forget it. It’s kind of funny how the things your family does and loves becomes your norm as you’re growing up. Im sure if your family listened to ACDC regularly, that might affect your future taste in music. I agree with your statement about once you go country you never go back because who ever gets sick of Geroge Straight and Randy Travis?? Great post overall!

2. Lee Allen

That’s so cool that you grew up with the music you currently love. That’s so different from me, I went from classic rock (because of my parents), to hip-hop, to rap, to country, and now all of them are mixed into every one of my playlists. I think my first country concert was actually Josh Abbott Band at the Houston Rodeo, and I really liked them! I kind of wish that I could’ve grown up with country music in my life like you did, it seems like something you’re very proud of having! It’s also sweet that country music gave your family something to bond with even more so than just living under the same roof. Thanks for sharing!

3. Mackenzi McAfee

I can SO relate to this post about country music being a huge part of your family. My dad is from Tennessee and my mom is from the Dallas area, so my entire life has actually revolved around listening to nothing other than country music. Like your family, mine has also gone to the Houston Rodeo since I was a little girl in my red cowboy boots going to see Alan Jackson and Tim McGraw. Country artists that were huge in the 90’s mean the most to me, because thats what I grew up listening to and what taught my to love country. Songs like “Where the Green Grass Grows” and “Chatahoochee” bring back so many memories and take me back to my childhood! I definitely thank my family for planting my country roots and growing my passion for the genre!

4. Lottie Glazer

I love this post because it speaks so true to me. I have grown up with country music all my life. Hearing you talk about the rodeo and country music reminded me of my days at the rodeo with my grandparents. I completely agree that country is a family affair. Like you, I love going to concerts with my family and take every chance I get to go to them. Lastly I have to say that I love how you ended the post with one of my favorite quotes!

5. Drew Scherger

I thought it was cool that you mentioned the ties between country music and going to the rodeo/spending time with your family growing up. It’s great that that is something that you can always go back to with your parents and siblings to bond over. While its not as big, the Austin rodeo is starting up pretty soon here and they already have some really good acts coming through in March. The Turnpike Troubadours and Willie Nelson are a couple that will be stopping by.