The Man, The Myth, The Legend…George Strait

george-straitHe isn’t called the King for nothing. George Strait is one of the most popular and influential artists of all time that will forever go down in history as one of the best. He holds a record for 57 number 1 hits. Let that sink in for a second… 57 songs that were ranked as number 1! If that isn’t enough validation for his nickname, I don’t know what is. He is third only to Elvis Presley and The Beatles for having the most gold and platinum albums in the history of music. He is the only artist from any genre ever to have a top ten hit song every year for thirty stinking years. He is the man!! He has always been one of my favorite artists because he really knows who he is. He stays true to his “traditionalist country” style and definitely rocks his cowboy hat. He isn’t some wannabe or try hard country artist, he’s the real deal. He is known for being one of the main artists to bring country back to its roots and away from the upcoming popular style of pop country that started in the 80’s. With his first single in 1981, “Unwound,” he started what would soon become a very successful 35-year career full of hit songs, none of which wavered from his original traditional style. If you look at every song he has sung throughout the years, his style truly remained the same. From his first hit, “Fool Hearted Memory,” to his latest hit album “Cold Beer Conversation,” George has stayed true to the artist he once was and has proven to be one of the most authentic artists around. Taste of Country says, “So many of Strait’s most recent releases could be found on albums from the ‘80s, ‘90s or ’00s, and “Cold Beer Conversation” is no different. It’s smooth and timeless, but subtly different from all that have come before it.” When I think of what makes a song or an artist country I think of the twang in the artists’ voice, the simple instruments like guitar and piano, and the story-like lyrics that touch on the life of a cowboy. George Strait has all of these aspects in each of his songs, which in my opinion makes for some real country. Some of my favorite songs of his are “Check Yes or No,” “Carrying your love with me,” and “The Chair.” He is a pro at writing love songs. George Strait really knows what he is doing and for that he will leave a huge mark on Country music. His legacy goes on as the King of Country Music. All hail King George!

Filed under Blog Post 3, George Strait

3 Responses to The Man, The Myth, The Legend…George Strait

1. Katerina Biancardi

Nice job Julie! I also wrote a post about George Strait, but I only focused on him briefly and his songs about Texas. Therefore, what I admire about your post is the history you included about his story and how he became the King in the country music scene. It’s amazing how he has 57 number one hits. I didn’t even realize the closeness between George Strait, The Beatles, and Elvis Presley. I think you did a great job of ranking the three, and putting George at third! I agree that because Strait is able to include the direct, transparent, story-like lyrics of a cowboy/ homegrown man and uses simple instruments makes him so country, and more than that, also likable. Furthermore, I think the phrase “less is more” is what also contributes to George being King. I think right now he is working on releasing an album, so we will have to wait and see. Thanks for the post!

2. Mackenzi McAfee

Loved your post Julie! I too wrote about The King in my last blog post and I agree with you on every point you mentioned about him. To me, George Strait will always be what every country artist should look up to and strive to be in their careers. He has held onto traditional country music throughout his entire career and that is something that truly incredible in the country industry. Today, the major country artists are turning to pop country rather than staying in the traditional roots. I would love to see more young artists start out playing at bars and dance halls like George Strait did when he was establishing his career, but not try to change the tone of their music into something other than authentic country. I love when other people brag on George Strait because I am SO obsessed with him and always will be! Thoroughly enjoyed your post!

3. Tyler King

Julie,
    I completely agree, All Hail The King! George is easily one of my favorite singers even though I’ve never been able to go see him live in concert. I’ve always enjoyed him sticking to his roots and doing a more traditional country even through the time where other country singers wanted to be more pop than anything.