Two-Step Your Way To Swiss Alp!

If you ever find yourself lost in Fayette County, Texas, on a Wednesday night during the summer or any weekend throughout the year, and you’re not afraid of a little sweat, there is one place you don’t want to miss out on! Located in between the back roads of two small Texas towns, La Grange and Schulenburg, lies an even smaller community known as Swiss Alp. This little community that is so easily missed holds the best little dancehall in Texas, Swiss Alp Dance Hall.

Swiss Alp Dance Hall - Fayette County

Swiss Alp Dance Hall

Swiss Alp Dance Hall was built in the early 1900s and has been the place to go for young adults that live in surrounding towns since then. However, the dance hall is not limited to just young adults. During a show, you will find people of all ages two-steppin’ the night away. Swiss Alp Dance Hall mostly hosts Texas country artists, such as Kevin Fowler, Roger Creager and Aaron Watson, as well as more local artists such as the Emotions.

No matter who is playing, you can expect a good time with great people and a little sweat. This cute little tin-roof dancehall has no air conditioning, only large windows that are opened for shows and big portable fans, so it can get a little toasty on a crowded night.

Inside Swiss Alp Dance Hall

Inside Swiss Alp Dance Hall

Swiss Alp Dance Hall holds a lot of priceless memories of mine, and when I say this, I confidently know that I am not alone. The hall is not just any old dance hall to the people who live nearby, but a place that their parents and grandparents grew up two stepping in as well. I have a couple of friends whose parents actually met at a dance in Swiss Alp! The place is magical, there’s just not a better way to describe it. The rich history along with the good country music creates an atmosphere that cannot be duplicated.

The official website for Swiss Alp Dance Hall is http://www.swissalptexas.com/home.html. Although I am not a fan of their website because I do not feel it captures the true country vibe you get from Swiss Alp, it is the most reliable place to find a schedule for upcoming shows. You can also learn a little more about the venue from it.

To get a better feel for Swiss Alp, here is a good link: https://www.facebook.com/search/199661610075091/photos-in. This link will take you to a Facebook page of photos taken and uploaded by Facebook users who were at Swiss Alp Dance Hall.

swissin

Swiss Alp Dance Hall On a Summer Night

I would love to hear about your experience at Swiss Alp Dance Hall or just what you think about it! Comment below!

Filed under Dancing, Live Music, Texas

2 Responses to Two-Step Your Way To Swiss Alp!

1. Dustin Hixenbaugh

Brittany: Sometimes I catch live music at honky tonks from the 1940s and 1950s, but I haven’t ever attended a show in an actual dance hall predating that. (This will change in December since I just bought tickets to see Rosanne Cash in Gruene.) I have always heard about western swing and dance halls being the “thing” to do in smaller Texas towns, but until your post I didn’t really know where to find the ones still in operation. What do you make of the title? La Grange seems about as far away from Switzerland as you can get!

2. Holly Kern

Brittany, I really enjoyed your blog. This place kind of reminds me of a small town Midnight Rodeo where all the kids hit up when its a cheap cover night. I love places like this because everyone is in their just to dance, listen to great (usually) country music and drink. I remember last year when Brett Eldridge came to midnight rodeo and all my friends went. I didn’t go to his concert but I have been to midnight a couple times and really enjoy the atmosphere of country dance halls. I do wonder, as Dusty pointed out, how they got their name. When reading the title I first thought, what do country music and Switzerland have in common? Just food for thought. I have a friend who lives in La Grange so I’ll have to check this place out sometime!