The Legends All Together

Country music has always been my main go-to music. Whether I am sad or happy, no matter the time of day, country music is always acceptable. I have gone to plenty of country music concerts from Lady A. to George Strait. As a country music fan, I look forward to the country awards shows, like the ACM’s and CMA’s. Something about hearing the new hits live, witnessing the new artists perform and hoping my favorite artist wins is a thrill in itself. In March 2013, I was privileged with my first live award show experience at the ACM’s, or Academy of Country Music Awards.

We took a girls trip to Vegas for my sister’s 21st birthday. Amidst the fun, quick- paced atmosphere of Vegas, we spent our last night attending the ACM awards. It was one of the most exciting experiences of my life. Seeing my favorite performers in one sitting and being in the same room with the top country artists was an adrenaline rush.

Along with getting to see all of my favorite performers, two of my favorite artists were the host of the award show, Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan. These two together are like stand up comedy. They crack jokes, make fun of one another, and even call out the other famous stars in the crowd.

The year we attended, George Strait was ending his “Cowboy Rides Away” tour. He only had a few scheduled, live performances left, and we were able to enjoy one of them. Being long-time fans of George Strait, it was a sentimental experience for my family.

Like most other award shows, there is always the “biggest award” at the end of the show. Along with being a host that year, Luke Bryan won ‘Artist Of The Year.’ It was rewarding to see him accept that award in person and genuinely thank the fans for being country music fans.

To top off the amazing experience we had being a part of the crowd, we unexpectedly ran into one of my all time favorite country artists, Clay Walker! It was a very cool experience to meet and talk with him. He kindly took a picture with us so we could have such a memorable experience documented. When I was little, my dad would play Clay Walker’s music every day on the way to elementary school. To me, he is one of the few country legends.Clay Walker!

We had an unforgettable experience at the ACM awards. Unforgettable enough that we decided to go back this past March. Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan hosted for the second year in a row, and the show was even better the second time around!

Filed under Awards, New Country, Reflection

4 Responses to The Legends All Together

1. Dustin Hixenbaugh

Gosh, Hannah, you got to actually attend the ACM Awards? How did you manage to get in? Is this the sort of event that you can buy tickets for, or do you have some kind of connection? You can probably tell from the questions that I am asking that I am fairly jealous. You mentioned that it was rewarding to see Luke Bryan win a big award the same night that he was hosting. I wonder if other people thought that was weird. I know the hosts/presenters don’t make the final decisions when it comes to awards shows, but in my experience the hosts still try to act like neutral parties. Everybody loves Luke Bryan!

2. Victoria Horvath

I can’t even imagine getting to attend something as incredible as the ACM Awards! I’ve grown up watching the show on TV with my mom, and we’re always in awe over all of the performances, but it guess it always seemed like celebrities were really the only ones there. It never occurred to me that “everyday” people would be able to enjoy the show live as well, and now that I see how amazing your experience was, I would love to go to a show sometime in the future too! I’m sure there is nothing else like it in the world.

3. Lejla Pracic

I think it is so awesome you got to attend such a marvelous event. I can’t imagine being in the same room with so many great artists, especially all my favorites. I must say I agree with you when you say country music is your go to music because it is also mine. I listen to country music all the time, in the car, at work, when I’m studying, when I’m talking a walk, etc. It is just my favorite music of all time. I love Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton! I can only imagine the energy in the room with those two hosting the show. I watch the Voice and Blake Shelton just makes that show so much more fun. The CMAs and ACMs are such great award shows and it’s pretty cool you got to experience this not once, but twice.

4. Alyssa Hazen

Wow I can’t believe you got to go to the ACMs! That is so awesome! I have no idea how I would react being in front of some of the greatest country artists. Let a alone a crowd full of famous people. I can only imagine how incredible and unforgettable this experience must have been. I’ve always wondered how the theatrics and actual performances sound since it’s being recorded on television. Who was the best performer? Was there any antics going on while the rest of us were seeing commercials during the show? Seeing Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton interact seems like the best part of the show. I would love to get the chance to go sometime and you’re so lucky to have experienced it twice!