Madison’s Country Music Experiences

This semester, I did four country music experiences around Austin, Texas. I went to the Eric Church concert at the Frank Erwin Center, took a selfie with the Willie Nelson statue, watched Country Strong, and watched the ACMs. Throughout this semester, I have learned so much about country music. Before this class, though I am a Texas native and lived my whole life in Dallas, I knew virtually nothing about country music, and did not consider myself a big fan of the genre. However, now that I have taken this class, I have a huge knowledge of artists, songs, tropes, themes, instrumentation, and much more, which has made my like Country Music a lot more. Doing these experiences has also made me appreciate country music a lot more because it’s more than just a genre of music, it’s a culture, and these experiences helped me realize that.

This semester, I did four country music experiences around Austin, Texas. I went to the Eric Church concert at the Frank Erwin Center, took a selfie with the Willie Nelson statue, watched Country Strong, and watched the ACMs.
Throughout this semester, I have learned so much about country music. Before this class, though I am a Texas native and lived my whole life in Dallas, I knew virtually nothing about country music, and did not consider myself a big fan of the genre. However, now that I have taken this class, I have a huge knowledge of artists, songs, tropes, themes, instrumentation, and much more, which has made my like Country Music a lot more. Doing these experiences has also made me appreciate country music a lot more because it’s more than just a genre of music, it’s a culture, and these experiences helped me realize that.

https://storify.com/madisoncomstock/madison-s-country-music-experiences

Filed under Austin, Class work, Reflection, Storify

7 Responses to Madison’s Country Music Experiences

1. Randle Cecil

Hey Madison! Loved your storify!! We both watched Country Strong and the ACMs! I’m jealous that you went to the Eric Church concert. I saw him perform a few years ago as an opening act for Kenny Chesney. I guess he’s popular enough to have his own concert now. I saw a lot of similarities in our experiences with country music. We both are from Texas and have been surrounded by country music our entire lives, yet we both didn’t know hardly anything about it.

2. Marissa Gallardo

Your post was really engaging and I enjoyed listening to all of the experiences that you had because many of them were really different than my own. We did share one in common: I also went to the Eric Church concert. I have to agree that it was truly a great experience. I have previously watched country music award shows, but it has been quite a while, and it would have been interesting to see how it has changed. I think that the way that you set up the Storify keeps the reader engaged and allows for interesting additional information on your country music experiences!

3. Katie O'Neil

Really enjoyed reading your post. I also went to the Willie Nelson statue and watched the ACMs. I posted an article on my storify too about the rankings of the performances. I thought this article was interesting because it ranked the duet performances the lowest. Im jealous that you got to go to the Eric Church concert, me and my friends wanted to but we just couldn’t fit it in. I haven’t seen a concert at the Frank Erwin Center yet but I’m sure that it has a different atmosphere than the American Airlines Center! Really enjoyed your storify!

4. Emma Morgan

I really enjoyed your storify! My favorite experience was also going to the Eric Church concert. I loved how laid-back and entertaining he was to watch. I didn’t know him super well going into the concert but now I really love his songs. I also watched the ACM’s too, which I really enjoyed since I have never watched it before. I thought the article you posted about the ranked performances from the show was fun to read!

5. Shannon Smith

Madison you did a great job of documenting all of your experiences. The Willie Nelson Statue looks kind of scary at night, but I love how you still had a great time. I really wanted to go to the Eric Church concert, but something else came up. Reading your post made me regret not going , but I feel like I was able to live through your experiences. I feel like I wasn’t able to really appreciate all Texas has to offer until doing this project.

6. Abby Wills

I really enjoyed your storify! I also went to the Willie Nelson statue, saw Country Strong, and watched the ACM’s! I love how you reflect so extensively on each experience. I completely agree that after taking this class and watching the ACM’s you gain a whole new perspective on the whole ordeal. I feel like in general I’ve learned so much about country music. I’m also glad to know so much more about a genre of music that is so popular in Texas. I really enjoyed reading this.

7. Thanks, Madison, for this post — and also for branching out to talk about how blogging about your experiences has given you something to talk about in your interviews (I hadn’t really thought about that before). I’d be curious to know more about what new things you saw in Country Strong that you didn’t appreciate the first time that you watched it (before the class).