How I Found Country Music and Learned That Everything Happens for a Reason

People who lose faith when their prayers don’t come true can be very misguided. When they lose an athletic game, don’t get the girl of their dreams, or don’t get a job they apply for, it’s very easy to turn away from God. Through family, faith, and country music, I have learned to keep a positive outlook when things don’t go the way I plan.

From a young age, my family ingrained in me the saying “everything happens for a reason.” I didn’t just learn that lesson from my parents, however. I learned it from the music they played. Some of my first memories were sitting in my car seat listening to Tim McGraw, the Dixie Chicks, and Garth Brooks. I specifically remember asking my dad if every country singer was Garth Brooks because I thought they all sounded the same. As I grew older, I maintained an affinity for country while my friends listened to pop and hip hop. There weren’t many country fans in Arizona and if you had asked my friends who Garth Brooks was, they would’ve had no idea. They would have never heard my all-time-favorite song, “Unanswered Prayers.”

26e0af03a250d3d93a4725b1c581c6be.1000x1000x1Although many country songs have taught me valuable life lessons, there hasn’t been one that has impacted me as much as Brooks’ “Unanswered Prayers.” It was always one of my favorite songs but the significance of the lyrics didn’t hit me until I started writing songs myself. I had the same feelings about a girl in high school that Garth did in his song. It helped me get through that. It also helped me overcome obstacles and disappointments like losing a state championship. Although the song is about a girl, I quickly learned it translates to all aspects of life. In the song, Brooks tells a story about how bad he wanted a girl in high school and if he’d have married her, he wouldn’t have met his wife today. In the second verse, Garth sings about how his “old flame” “wasn’t quite the angel” he remembered in his dreams. By the end of the song, the listener is convinced how lucky Garth was that God didn’t answer his prayer to marry his high school crush. He hits home with the hook of the chorus and arguably the greatest line ever written, “Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”

If it wasn’t for my family, I probably would have never been influenced by songs like “Live Like You Were Dying,” “Never Wanted Nothin’ More,” and “Stupid Boy.” If it wasn’t for songs like “Unanswered Prayers,” I would probably think country music is just about beer, the south, and tailgate parties. It’s fair to say I would be a completely different person if I didn’t have my family, faith, and country music.

Filed under Blog Post 1

4 Responses to How I Found Country Music and Learned That Everything Happens for a Reason

1. Matt Wills

Great article Tyler! I like how your article not only highlights how country music is relatable to many audiences, but how ingrained religion and spirituality are in many country songs, and how big of a role religion can take in both an artist’s life and work. Country music isn’t about moonshine and bonfires, and you highlight that point really well in this piece. It was awesome to read about how country music has been so therapeutic for you too, as I think many Americans turn to country music for comfort as well.

2. Alyssa Buchanan

Good words all over this post. Couldn’t be more true how country music can just get to you! It is so easy to relate to, and is one genre I can actually find comfort in. The faith/religion aspect in country music is probably how that is accomplished so well. I love the line “Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.” !!! Garth is the man. Cool to hear how much of an impact one song can have for an extended amount of time.

3. Hannah Evans

I like how you got personal in this post and shared your own experiences. There is definitely life lessons to be learned through country music and I’m glad you touched on that. I also had the same perspective when I was younger that all country singers sound the same. I’m glad we’ve figured out there’s more to it! Also, nice tie in to the beginning in the last line. Awesome job!

4. Adam Keyrouze

Before reading this I admit I had never listened to “Unanswered Prayers” by Garth Brooks, but after listening to it I also agree that it’s another good country song. I was in the same boat as you guys when y’all said how you thought all country music sounded the same when you were little. I hate to admit that I haven’t listened to much Garth Brooks and always just assumed he sounded like all country musicians. But moving on to the last thing I liked about this article, I loved the type of songs you listed at the end. I’m a huge Kenny Chesney fan and I have always loved “Never Wanted Nothin’ more.” It’s actually just like “Unanswered prayers” and these types of country songs are what country is all about!