What I Grew Up To

Imagine every time you got into the car to go to a basketball practice, church or just out to dinner you knew exactly what to expect. Well, for my siblings and me, we did know what to expect. My dad would always play 3 country artists. I grew up in a small town in Maumelle, Arkansas and I can honestly say listening to these three country artists almost every day truly shaped sweet memories of my childhood.

1. Garth Brooks

I know what you’re probably thinking… “Of course, who didn’t listen to him?”, but you’re right! To me, listening to Garth Brooks is a classic memory. Now, my dad and I tended to be a bit theatrical at times, so when it was just him and I in the car on the way to some event, we would always play “When the Thunder Rolls”. What a better song to play when you’re planning on acting and being all dramatic, right? I mean, really, who can’t resist to belt out and dance during the thunder parts of the song. The next most played Garth Brooks song was, of course, “The Dance”. My dad knew this one a lot better than I did, but I enjoyed it just as much.

1. Dixie Chicks

Here we go, another wave of childhood memories come flooding back anytime I hear ANY of the Dixie Chicks songs. “Good Bye Earl” is still my jam until this day. While at the time, I only thought of it as a fun, upbeat song, I still bolt it out today knowing it is about domestic abuse. I think it’s a song that catches people’s attention and brings awareness to a serious issue. “Ready to Run” also deserves a huge honorable mention because my sisters and I use to act out that song all the time. While these are two of my favorites, every Dixie Chicks song that comes to mind has a unique place in my heart.

1. Shania Twain

I saved good ole Shania for last because it’s a personal favorite. Her songs bring back probably the sweetest memories I have. Mainly because my dad belted out her songs louder than anyone, and if you knew my dad, you’d know why this was such a funny and entertaining site for me. “That Don’t Impress Me Much” and “Man! I Feel like a Woman” are easily my top two favorite songs by her. I mean, come on, can you imagine your father singing “let’s go girls” at the beginning of the song “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” and that not bringing a smile to your face? I didn’t think so.

63403_1612221839461_1793417_nNo matter what I tell people about my childhood from Arkansas, no story is told without mention of at least one of these country singers. That is how I know country music has touched my life and I have grown a genuine sentimental value from listening to it.

Filed under Blog Post 4, Country Pop, Dancing, Garth Brooks, Reflection, Women

3 Responses to What I Grew Up To

1. Annie G

I found this article really relatable! My mom and I used to sing “Friends in Low Places” by Garth Brooks together in the car all the time, kind of similar to you and your dad! The dixie chicks are always on my road trip play list and I honestly can’t think of a time when I’m not in the mood to listen to them. And of course, the Shania Twain song you chose is probably the ultimate pump up song for any girl. I’ve listened to it when I’m getting ready for a night out or even just when I need to feel a little better. It’s awesome that you share so many memories with your family that involve country music!

2. Sierra Smith

Stephanie, I really enjoyed reading this post! The 3 songs you mentioned are classic songs that I am familiar with despite not heavily growing up listening to country music. However, I am similar to you in that my dad used to always play Garth Brooks in the car whenever we would go somewhere. He is one of my dad’s favorite artists in the country music genre, and since listening to his songs in the car it has made me appreciate the genre more. Also, “Man, I Feel Like a Woman!” by Shania Twain has always been one of my favorite songs simply because it has such a fun and upbeat rhythm that my mom first introduced me to! Another country artist that my parents occasionally listened to was Faith Hill, which made me have an appreciation for her style of country music as well!

3. Ginny Montalbano

Stephanie, great post! I listened to a lot of country music growing up because both of my parents love it. I can completely relate to listening to Garth Brooks, but especially Shania Twain! My mom absolutely loves her music! I remember she would always go out and get the newest CD and was so excited to listen to it in the mornings before she would drop me off at school. My first concert that I can remember actually was the Dixie Chicks with my dad at the Houston Rodeo way back when. I think it was right before their big scandal actually. I loved that you added the sentimentality aspect of country music in your post- it definitely is!