Bro, That’s what Country is all about.

Has anyone else every heard of a subgenre of country music called “Bro Country?” Well… Neither have I, but I found this Time article interesting so I decided to look into it further.

Blog post 2 pic 2The well-known Country music duo Florida Georgia Line is the epitome of what is known as Bro Country. It has a really relaxed sound to it, and it makes you think about all the good times that you’ve had with your boys (I’m not sure if girls can relate as much with this topic). Bro Country is all about the bros and that kind of lifestyle. It involves: parties, drinking, and girls, of course!! Other artists that portray this kind of vibe are Jason Aldean, Blake Shelton, and Luke Bryan.

The debate over bro country not only divides guys and girls, but also the frat boys and the “old farts.” In response to this situation between the kids and the old men, Blake Shelton comments: “Well that’s because you (old men) don’t buy records anymore, jackass. The kids do, and they don’t want to buy the music you were buying.” The turning point from the older side to the bro side of country was most likely with the release of the song Cruise by Florida Georgia Line.

From then on out, artists used guitars as opposed to fiddles more often, and the sound of Country music in general seemed to shift. It shifted to a more relaxed, younger sound that seems to only be growing in popularity. The appearance of the modern day country artist changed along with the sound, as well. These artists are now covered in tattoos, tank top wearin’, young, party hearted frat boys it seems. Country music has seemed to move to be very modern, and this shift has only occurred in the past few years.

Country star Kenny Chesney is a firm supporter of the Bro Country movement, as displayed in his song “No Shirt, No Shirt, No Problem.” He is a very laid-back and carefree country artist, making him display what being a bro as all about. In his newest album, the track “Wild Child” he describes the kind of girl that country boys are interested in. Chesney says: “If you didn’t wear cut-off jeans or a bikini top, or sit on a tailgate and drink, then you really weren’t worthy.” The Bro Country movement lets everybody know exactly what they’re lookin’ for in life and that it’s all about having a good time.

Comment and let me know what y’all think. Thanks for reading!!

Filed under Bro Country

4 Responses to Bro, That’s what Country is all about.

1. Ramie Payne

Great post, Mark! Bro Country has always kind of interested me, but I really can’t decide how I feel about it. I like some of the music, but it just doesn’t feel like real country to me. The intense twangs, the pop/rap influence, and the topics of the songs just don’t sound like classic country to me, but I guess that’s what Bro Country is trying to do. These artists are trying to break free of the “classic country” feel and I think they’re doing a good job at it. I respect these artists for expressing themselves and their music how they want to, but I just don’t think I’ll ever be able to be a fan of Bro Country.

2. Dustin Hixenbaugh

Mark: I don’t know what to make of “bro country.” Like you mention, it is supposed to be music by guys, about guys, for other guys, but all the artists that you mention have substantial female followings. Earlier this semester, JJ and Alina posted about how much they love Luke Bryan. It was my mother–not my father–who drug me to see Kenny Chesney play the Cheyenne Frontier Days a couple of years ago. Sometimes I wonder if these guys aren’t playing roles they think will make them attractive to women–even if they are ostensibly singing about being men (whatever that means).

3. Gerrit Cook

I’m glad someone wrote about this. Bro Country has a huge following, and it is easy to pick out the artists that contribute to this sub-genre. I listen to Bro-Country artists if they’re on the radio or if the situation calls for it. It sets the tone for a booze filled evening, and lets everyone loosen up a bit. I don’t understand why people hate on the genre. If it sells, so be it. Why not get more people exposed to some country instead of none at all? I got into country music by listening to Bro-Country, but now I am trying to diversify. Great post Mark!

4. Pingback: Dancing on the Grave of Country Music | Country Music Project