My Media Curator Week

This past week I was in charge of the class social media accounts along with Tiffany. I found success in some areas, and struggled with others, namely Twitter. I’ve had my personal Twitter account for around four years, and I only have around thirty tweets, so I had a hard time deciding what to tweet about for the class. I ended up primarily tweeting out reminders for deadlines and readings to complete before and after each class. After this week, it’s safe to say that I’m still not a fan of Twitter, though I do have a better understanding of how the app works.

Instagram came much easier to me, as I check it on a daily basis and post more frequently. On my own Instagram account, I’ve found that I only post pictures that I think will get a high number of likes. I only post at certain times on certain days to maximize how many likes I think my pictures will get, and it often becomes an inaccurate reflection of who I am. On the class Instagram account, I posted whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I had more fun doing this because I wasn’t caught up in likes or who was was going to see my post. I think the lack of having people I know following me took off the pressure of what I posted, leading to me having an enjoyable time controlling our Instagram accounts.

My Spotify playlist is all over the place here. I mainly listen to rap music, but I had a hard time finding songs that didn’t contain explicit lyrics. I have a little pop, country, and even Disney music on here. After watching the new Beauty and the Beast movie last week, I went back and have been listening to old Disney songs since then. It’s nice to hear some of the songs from my childhood again. Overall, I think this playlist shows the kind of upbeat and positive personality I have.

Overall, I had a good experience as the class media curator. It was fun being able to post on social media accounts other than my own. It showed me how I get caught up in the content of what I post, rather than enjoying the apps for simply posting everything. -JH

12 thoughts on “My Media Curator Week

1. Oh my god! I am totally on the same page as you with twitter. I don’t know how long I have had a twitter, but I have a total of 18 tweets. I was STRUGGLING to figure out what to post. I still would prefer my instagram or snapchat over twitter. Maybe it’s because I cannot get over the maximum limit of words you can actually use.

-Robert Uhr

2. Hi Jacob,

I saw Beauty and the Beast recently and it definitely got me listening to other Disney music as well! The movie was so great and the soundtrack for it includes so many different singers that the music on it is amazing. I can relate to you regarding managing the Instagram class account, as there was so much freedom. I liked posting to the class Instagram since it was so relaxed and fun and overall was very enjoyable without all of the pressure of posting on my personal account.

-Meg

3. Nice Jacob! Looks like you and Malik have something in common (love for Disney). To be honest though, I feel like tweeting is way easier than Instagram. At least with Twitter you can be funny. Instagram makes me feel pressure to inspire and educate all while posting something beautiful. That’s probably why them Instagram models have so many followers… That and no other reasons – no if’s and’s or butt’s.

4. Hey Jacob! I can totally agree with you that Twitter definitely gave me a hard time. I didn’t know what exactly to post either, so I ended up posting mainly reminders for our classmates and some interesting things that have been going on in Austin. I also found that using the class Instagram definitely gave me the freedom of posting whatever I want whenever I want without having to worry about how many likes or comments I’d receive. This is one of the reasons I enjoyed being the class curator for the week. I also loved your playlist! It is filled with variety and I love Disney songs! I also enjoyed the Beauty and the Beast movie! -TP

5. Hi Jacob,

As a big time Disney fan I love love love your playlist. Also I appreciated your reminders of upcoming assignments due, because I tend to procrastinate and it was a nice reminder to do my work. I completely agree with you on the Instagram thing. I typically am very careful with what I post to achieve maximum number of likes, however on our class Instagram, I felt free to post whatever I wanted and that was very stress free.

-Ebony

6. Jacob,

Your approach to posts on Instagram was exactly what I had in mind when I was the media curator for the week. Although I am not a user of Instagram, I did not feel that I had to adhere to certain restrictions on the social media platform on what I could or could not post. Your style of posting whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted reminded me of my carefree posts on Instagram which consisted of pictures of supermarket fruits and a photo of a rainbow.

– Shannon

7. Jacob:
    I also agree that the class Instagram account had less pressures than personal accounts. I thought it was cool that you incorporated Disney music into your Spotify playlist. Even though its not related to the curator blog, just wanted to say that I loved your presentation! I thought it was super duper cool how you have loved swimming since you were so young and how much work and dedication you have put in to get here! 🙂

-Ana

8. Hi Jacob,

I also felt that Twitter was the hardest class account to manage. I didn’t know what to tweet, so I ended up doing the same as you and only tweeted about the daily work for the class. I really enjoyed listening to your playlist, it has several songs that I like and included in my own playlist.

-Johana

9. Hey Jacob,

I totally understand how hard Twitter was to use for someone who does not use it very much. I tend to do more passive scrolling than interacting with my friends on social media sites so this part of the assignment was rather difficult for me as well. Your thoughts on Instagram were interesting because I am the opposite. I am not really concerned about how many likes that I get or what unspoken rules I am breaking if I post two pictures in the same day or don’t post at a prime time. Instead, I post pictures that I would like to share about my experiences and that add to the overall vibe of my profile.

Cheers,
    Adam

10. Hi Jacob,

I think you have a particularly interesting point about Instragram. While I don’t use the app very often, many of my friends are caught up in its social impact, i.e. likes. I can see the stress it causes them as they first upload a picture. I’m glad you didn’t feel that way on the class account, and I think that’s a positive part of the assignment.

Best,
    Ezra

11. Hi Jacob!

I also struggle with Twitter. I do not know what is normal to tweet, what my followers will think is funny/relevant, and I always find myself going over the character limit. Instagram was also easier for me because I think it’s much easier to snap and post a pic with minimal writing. I really enjoyed your Spotify playlist mainly because of the addition of Disney songs. Anytime I hear an old Disney song, I am overtaken by nostalgia. Great post!

– JB

12. Hey Jacob!
    I completely agree that when posting for the class was easier than posting on personal media accounts. It was worry free of how many people would like or comment on each post. I am not a big fan of twitter either. One of my friends created an account for me but I haven’t used it at all. It was great seeing your personality through what you posted as curator!
    Great job!
    –PP