A TX Adventure, and I don’t mean Austin

Spend all semester cooped up on campus? Or maybe you’ve just been in Austin too long and seen it all. You may be surprised to know that Austin is not the only gem in Texas. While our home here is a mecca for food, art, and beautiful landscapes only a few hours away you will find Marfa and Big Bend. This spring break two of my closest friends and I hopped in a car and made are way to New Mexico, stopping in small Texas towns in between. Terilingua, Texas, home of Big Bend National Park was our first stop. The park, made up of 800,000 acres of nature’s best views, maintains 118 miles of recreational trail. Driving into the massive park was an experience in itself. The road was laden with sights of massive rock formations, canyons, and never ending skies- it was remarkable. It is a shame that even the clarity of an iPhone camera cannot adequately capture the majesty of the park. Actually, our phones couldn’t do much upon entering the park: no signal, no GPS, no social media, and not even our cameras.

Big Bend National Park

Smoky Creek Trail

Our next stop was only two hours away, Marfa, Texas. The town is an artist’s oasis niched in the middle of the West Texas desert. Both outdoor and indoor installations are sprinkled around the small town along with a landscape of cacti, tumbleweeds, and striated rock formations. Not many franchised establishments can be found around here. The true uniqueness can only be experienced in person – our photos did not come close to capturing the town’s artistry. iPhones have changed the game by capturing every moment and providing a medium to organize and revisit memories at the touch of a button. Photos, videos, locations, and google searches for our 5 day trip were all made possible by the iPhone.

Ballroom Marfa- Art Space

El Cosmico Campground

10 thoughts on “A TX Adventure, and I don’t mean Austin

1. Hi!
    This definitely looked like a fun adventure, the last time I was in the Big Bend area was when I was just a child. I actually got car sick on the ride, however I do remember the beautiful view.

Where did you go in New Mexico? I have only been there one time for a track meet with my high school coach. I still to this day still remember how unique Santa Fe was.

Bye!

2. Hi Lauren,

That sounds like an amazing way to spend your break. Since you visited Terlingua, I was wondering if you got to meet Clay Henry, the beer-drinking goat mayor. I reckon he is quite a character.

Juan

3. Hey Lauren,

That looked like an awesome way to spend your spring break! My friends and I are thinking about taking a road trip out there this summer, and this definitely encourages me more to visit there.

Jacob

4. Lauren,

I’m so jealous of your adventures! It sounds and looks like it was a lot of fun. I’ve never been to Big bend and as someone that loves the outdoors, I really want to go! I heard it is absolutely beautiful. Marfa sounds cool too! I love going to towns that aren’t really well known. They have a unique sort of charm.

-Ebony

5. Hey Lauren,

I’ve never been there but this post makes it seem like it was a fun adventure! I like to look through the places people post about because I always learn about somewhere new. I hope to travel more after graduation, and I’m definitely going to add this to my list.

-Johana

6. Hey Lauren,

I loved seeing your pictures from Big Bend and Marfa. Both of these places are on my to-do list after I graduate and start working in Austin in the fall. I really like this area of Texas because there are so many places that are just a few hours drive away that make for perfect weekend trips! I really enjoy photography and have seen many pictures from Marfa and from what I can tell it looks like it is stuck in the past. All of the art installments looked awesome from your pictures. You have reinstalled my interest in these areas and I will definitely be making more of an effort to get out and explore them in the next couple of months!

Cheers,
    Adam

7. Hey Lauren,

I found this post intriguing, as few people I know hype up activities outside of the Austin area. Texas is a state with many beautiful and unique places outside of the “big-four” cities. I thought your post did a nice job or capturing some of those places. I especially want to visit Big Bend after reading your post.

Nice job!

-Ezra

8. Lauren,

First of all, I think the pictures used in this post are awesome!! I have also hiked Big Bend, and I would love to get more information on the trails you hiked. I really like how you used the connection of the iPhone throughout the entirety of your blog post. Overall, I think you did excelled in illustrating your travel through Texas’ hidden gems!

– JB

9. Lauren,

I really like that your blog wasn’t focused on Austin, but other cool places in Texas to see. I definitely want to go check out Big Bend National Park after seeing your cool picture. You captured some awesome places to go hike and I am looking forward to exploring them in the future!

-PP