A Conservative’s View on Growing Up Country

The Dixie Chicks considered "radical" after unpatriotic outburst.One community that I take pride in actively participating in is the Conservative party community because I personally agree with the beliefs and actions of that particular group and I like to associate myself as one of them. I believe that country music does particularly figure into that community, as the southern stereotypical musician is more likely to be more conservative than liberal and the morals and actions of many country music stars and their music may cater to more of a socially conservative crowd. Many of the people that also identify as conservative in my social circle do enjoy country music over some other genres, because of its more realistic sounding nature and storytelling instincts. Particular country songs that I enjoy listening to within my community are some feel good songs by artists such as Pat Green, Robert Earl Keen, and George Strait, because I have grown up listening to their music and enjoy attending their concerts. Patriotic country songs are also songs I enjoy listening to because they remind me of the importance and desire to preserve the respect for our country that so many people are trying to diminish during this time of immense change. I feel that the patriotic nature and humble attitudes are what may make the community enjoy the simplicity and reality of country music and may distinguish it from other communities. It is very stereotypical for a cowboy to be labeled as a conservative, but in many ways this is most often true. There are, however, plenty of great country artists who do not identify themselves in the conservative community, such as Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, and Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks. Tim McGraw, an active democrat, infuriated fans with statements condemning President Barack Obama’s actions. At a concert after 9/11, the Dixie Chick’s career was tragically put on the line when the lead singer announced she was embarrassed to be from the same state as George W. Bush. This was a turning point in their career because they seemingly went against the majority of their fan’s beliefs and have since then barely made a comeback within the community. The conservative party naturally turns toward tradition and is somewhat against change, that’s why I feel that the genre of traditional country music is so widely respected in this community because the musical values somewhat embodies the values of a conservative person.

Filed under Blog Post 1, Class work, Classic Country, Politics, Reflection, Texas, USA

2 Responses to A Conservative’s View on Growing Up Country

1. Paige Hinkle

This is an interesting viewpoint about the relationship between conservatives and country music. The Dixie Chicks scandal shows the complex interactions between country artists and conservatives. In the article that you linked, Merle Haggard pointed out that punishing the Dixie Chicks for voicing their opinion goes against the right to free speech and seems almost un-American. However it does show how conservatives really value their beliefs and will stand by them, which is also a common theme in country music and Southern culture. This article also notes that conservatives value tradition and can be resistant to change, which is prevalent in the country music culture, especially when it comes to mixing country music with other genres. Country music has gone through a lot of change over the years, as have people’s political viewpoints.

2. Cassidy Wilson

This is a really interesting post! I have always heard of the Dixie Chicks Scandal but never really looked deep into it. I just enjoy their music (haha). I also find it very strange that Toby Keith is a liberal because he has many songs about his love for America and the troops. I guess in my personal mind I just labeled him as a conservative because he is associated with country music. Some of my favorite songs of his are “American Soldier” and “Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue.” They are so great to watch him perform in concert because he does unleash his patriotism. Although I identify myself with a conservative as well, i do appreciate Toby Keith and The Dixie Chicks’ music. I loved your article and how you discussed politics in country music. Good job! 🙂